What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB Charging.......AHAAHHHHHHHHH!

windycitycouple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok....

I tried using the USB port on my PC to charge my IPod. Nothing.

So I do some research and I see that "old" USB ports wont work...I need "new" USB ports....Ok.

I go out and buy a brand new USB 2.0 card, install it into my last open slot.....Drum roll please!!

Nothing.

WTF.

Does anyone have their IPad actually charging via USB?!?!?!?!?

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not all USB ports on computers have enough juice to charge the iPad. Even if the computer is plugged in, you could still see a "Not Charging" message on your iPad when plugged in via USB.

Your best bet is using the wall charger.

Chng238

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't use our PC USB to charge the iPad, because iPad need more power, form the stock charger you can see the different, is 10W...

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like a driver issue on the PC tower or a Low voltage USB i don't understand why you do not use wall charger that is supplied. The only time I can see using a computer to charge would be in a situation where I have no power available and using a laptop even then it would drain the battery on the laptop if left to long. I suspect you have a low voltage USB card as the ipad requires 10v. I also assume iPad connects ok and syncs

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its right there in the User Guide --

battery.jpg

There is a bookmark to the online iPad User Guide in Safari or you can down load the .pdf from the Apple website.

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
Yep, need 10 watts. Most PC's don't put out that kind of power on their USB bus. Fortunately for you, the iPad is smart enough to detect this and doesn't clamp on the power. Otherwise, you might end up with blown or at least disabled USB circuits... :)

Piko

grngurrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same Problem -try a Csquid

I had the same problem with my PC and iPad. I found a solution - it's called a CSquid cable. The info on it's website specifically talked about being able to solve this problem. Found it on Amazon and it works great!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I had the same problem with my PC and iPad. I found a solution - it's called a CSquid cable. The info on it's website specifically talked about being able to solve this problem. Found it on Amazon and it works great!

Yeah, this cable is great but if your USB port doesnt put out 10W of power you wont be charging at full speed.

still its better than not charging.

OP
W

windycitycouple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use the wall charger because I keep the wall charger at my office where I use the IPad the most and need a recharging option at home without having to spend another $30 purchasing a duplicate charger.

It sounds like a driver issue on the PC tower or a Low voltage USB i don't understand why you do not use wall charger that is supplied. The only time I can see using a computer to charge would be in a situation where I have no power available and using a laptop even then it would drain the battery on the laptop if left to long. I suspect you have a low voltage USB card as the ipad requires 10v. I also assume iPad connects ok and syncs

OP
W

windycitycouple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand that so that's why I purchased the USB 2.0 card (as USB 2.0 puts out greater power).

Yep, need 10 watts. Most PC's don't put out that kind of power on their USB bus. Fortunately for you, the iPad is smart enough to detect this and doesn't clamp on the power. Otherwise, you might end up with blown or at least disabled USB circuits... :)

Piko

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are aftermarket chargers from people like Belkin that are about half the price of the OEM charger.

Photo1017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
wjd333.smugmug.com
I plan to buy a second 10W charger, but until then am carrying stock charger back n forth daily.
All my PC's are windows so no higher juice available there...

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use the wall charger because I keep the wall charger at my office where I use the IPad the most and need a recharging option at home without having to spend another $30 purchasing a duplicate charger.

I went to the this site as soon as I bought my Ipad,I have a charger at home plus one in my travel pack. They are very cheap and they work fine. Not $30.OO,
iPhone 3g Accessories, iPod Car Kit, Chargers, Headset, iPhone 3g Cover, Speaker Retailer

Al.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I went to the this site as soon as I bought my Ipad,I have a charger at home plus one in my travel pack. They are very cheap and they work fine. Not $30.OO,
iPhone 3g Accessories, iPod Car Kit, Chargers, Headset, iPhone 3g Cover, Speaker Retailer

Al.

Sorry,
I made a BOO BOO, that charger I bought was a 5Watt, and it was for my wifes Ipod,must have been a senior moment. SOooo Solly.:eek:

Most reactions

Latest posts