What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad2 not charging??

gypsy_rhythm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an ipad2, let the battery run down, recharged, went to give it a top up charge and now it wont charge at all. I've tried the USB in every port in the house, all it does is turns on and says NOT CHARGING. Nothing when plugged into mains.:mad:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an ipad2, let the battery run down, recharged, went to give it a top up charge and now it wont charge at all. I've tried the USB in every port in the house, all it does is turns on and says NOT CHARGING. Nothing when plugged into mains.:mad:

You say "I've tried the USB in every port in the house"

The iPad will only 'appear' to charge if plugged into its own charger. That provides 2 A; a 'regular' USB port on a computer only provides 500 mA - a quarter of that - so the iPad says 'Not charging' to remind you. In fact, it does charge - but very very slowly....

Tim

OP
G

gypsy_rhythm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I first got my ipad2 I did connect it to the usb port in my computer and I'm pretty sure it actually came up as charging, I can't quite remember, but now it doesn't. I'll go back to the shop and get them to test it and see how I go.

I'm not too worried about it not working through the usb port, it's the mains I'm concerned about.

cheers

Last edited:

HerbalTBag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I first got my ipad2 I did connect it to the usb port in my computer and I'm pretty sure it actually came up as charging, I can't quite remember, but now it doesn't. I'll go back to the shop and get them to test it and see how I go.

Yeah you definitely need to use the iPad plug. I use it but I tried different USB ports to see what would work and I haven't found a single one that could charge it.

OP
G

gypsy_rhythm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanx herb and everyone else, you lot are great, didn't think I would get a response so quick. Clearly it sounds like the brand new shiny charger has sh*t itself after one use. Not happy about that at all considering how much I paid for it. Let's hope that's the only problem. :D

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
btw, even though it says not charging when connected to a USB port, if you turn off the screen it should still charge, if very slowley. You can improve this slightly if you completely turn the iPad off.

Most reactions