What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB Cable

John51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know the way to distinguish near identical Usb cables for an iPod and iPad 3? I don't know if it makes any difference, it's just p***ing me off.

OP
J

John51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of their rectangle with a line symbols is actually bigger than the other's. is this a trick?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The cable shouldn't make any difference. The wall charger does. The iPod one will not charge an iPad.

My house is full of iDevices. Everyone just grabs the first cable they come across.

OP
J

John51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, after the mix up I noticed they clipped in differently to the iPad but they do seem interchangeable.

As far as distinguishing - notice not only the rectangles, but the rubber on either ends, & the squareness of one's USB end. But could they actually be factory random?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 208

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never got a charger With my iPod only a cable, lucky I had two chargers for my iPad. And both cables and plugs seem interchangeable.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
therealriley said:
I never got a charger With my iPod only a cable, lucky I had two chargers for my iPad. And both cables and plugs seem interchangeable.

Apple doesn't include chargers with the iPods it sells. I think they assume we'll plug them into a computer to charge.

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you can spend a couple of pounds and buy one of theirs no doubt. :/

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
therealriley said:
So you can spend a couple of pounds and buy one of theirs no doubt. :/

I never bothered, I just use my iPad charger.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, after the mix up I noticed they clipped in differently to the iPad but they do seem interchangeable.

As far as distinguishing - notice not only the rectangles, but the rubber on either ends, & the squareness of one's USB end. But could they actually be factory random?

As far as I know, the cables with the 30 pin connector on one end is interchangeable, so these apparent outward differences probably meaningless. Either should work with any modern iDevice.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the way to distinguish near identical Usb cables for an iPod and iPad 3? I don't know if it makes any difference, it's just p***ing me off.

Life is too short. Just use any cable and a iPad 1,2,3 or 4 iPad charger for any I device I also have a split dual cable 12watt charger which charges both a 3GS and a iPad. We have 3 iPhones inc 1 iPhone 5 and 2 iPads plus a couple of iPods I have identified the iPad charges with a big red dot So it is easy to pick and choose. The cig connector USB in car supports all devices inc the iPhone 5 Finally the parrot car system has a lighting adapter so it also can charge while I am in the car

No stress no pain lol

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk in Australia

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unless the cable is from one of the early generation iPods (before the iPod Touch) they are all compatible/interchangeable.

OP
J

John51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

For those that do not have them mixed up, for my own curiosity and storage - does either of my cables seem to match your iPad 3 cable?

OP
J

John51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^^The iPod is a nano, 4th gen. I believe :thumbs:

Most reactions