USB cable not charging the new iPad even though I'm using the factory 10W charger

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by user20140405, Apr 5, 2012.

1. backudog

backudog
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I bought a car charger, a usb plug charger..erm..thingy(plug you put the usb cable into)? and an extra usb cable for my new ipad 3 in our local pound shop , all in all it cost me 3 quid and they all work fine! (i also got a stand , screen protector and case for it there too!)

2. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    When buying stuff from the internet, caution should be taken. I never buy from Ebay and most others like them. Amazon has usually been good, but you have to read the fine print with items not sold by Amazon. I have a cable that allows me to charge and out put to the car stereo through the 30 pin connector. Apple does not offer such a cable, so I am glad I found one that seems to be to Apple standards.

3. chazmink

chazmink
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
  4. jawa6306

jawa6306
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    So here's what I found out... The cables made for the new iPad are actually thicker than the regular 30 pin cables made by apple. I found this out when I tried to plug my new iPad in with an older cable. It wound up saying not charging after about 65%. I held the two up and the one that came with my iPad 3 is noticeably thicker than its elder counterpart. I swapped them out and it worked out fine. Best to keep this in mind if you're anything like me and have 6 different 30 pin cables.

5. King Hal

King Hal
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I'm still using the charger & cable from my original iPad 1. I've not even bothered to unpack the charger & cable for the New iPad. It all works fine.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

6. jawa6306

jawa6306
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Well, I would expect the iPad cables to work fine with each other however the cables I was using were from iPods I have owned which apparently were a no go.

7. af847

af847
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm using the USB cable that came with my Ipad 3, it charges fine when it's plugged into an outlet, but when I plug into the USB on my PC I get the Not Charging next to the battery symbol. So is it just a problem with the USB cable charging on the computer?

8. Jduckip3

Jduckip3
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Depends. Some USB ports on pc's do not actually contain a high power source. Generally, these are the front buss USB ports. Generally, the ports on the back are the only powered ports. Plug the same cable in a back port if available and see what happens. This is the way my current HP is configured, and the way my previous Compaq was as well.

9. rushmore69

rushmore69
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Another tidbit is unless plugged into the wall, the new iPad only charges while the display is off. This is why says not charging while on and plugged in with a computer USB.

10. ajricaud

ajricaud
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have a home-built PC using an MSI motherboard. MSI has a utility that works w/some of their motherboards called "SuperCharger". It increases the amperage enough to charge my iPad.