UPS Man Takes iPad Mini Just Delivered by FedEx

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Dec 21, 2012.

By Maura on Dec 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM
  1. Maura

Maura
    Expand Collapse
    iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Gizmodo delights in giving us news about some of the wackier stories in the world of tech and gadgets and beyond, and this particular story that it posted today is very much a case in point. It centres around a video posted on Vimeo by a man called Al Alverson (which has subsequently been withdrawn since the article was posted), which appears to show the UPS man making off with a parcel that has been left on Alverson’s front porch by FedEx, earlier in the day. The parcel actually contained an iPad mini that he had ordered for his daughter’s Christmas present. Alverson watched the incident in real time on his computer, via a camera that he had installed over his front door three years ago. Gizmodo says that prior to the release of the video, UPS had been denying that the parcel had been stolen, but since the release of the video they have accepted that this is what happened. In an update to the story, Gizmodo says that the UPS employee has now been sacked and charged by police with theft of the item.

[FONT=&amp]Source: UPS Guy Steals an iPad Mini That FedEx Had Just Delivered[/FONT]

Comments

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Dec 21, 2012.

1. scifan57
      scifan57
      I just watched the video and the news report. I understand that UPS has replaced the stolen iPad and the daughter will get her iPad mini for Christmas after all.
    2. tlbaker
      tlbaker
      Nice. They have insurance for that kind of stuff.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD
    3. scifan57
      scifan57
      I don't think it was insurance that replaced the iPad. I do think it was UPS trying to distance itself from the thief that motivated the replacement. That and the fact that UPS wants to be known as an honest company which doesn't tolerate thievery by it's employees.
    4. tlbaker
      tlbaker
      Perhaps, but he is not the first and won't be the last thief to work for UPS, hence some sort of insurance would be necessary or else they would go bankrupt replacing lost or stolen items. I wonder if they have to be bonded to work for them? Probably so.

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD
    5. scifan57
      scifan57
      You're absolutely correct, that's the reason their employees are bonded. Among other things, it compensates the company for losses caused by employee theft.
    6. tlbaker
      tlbaker
      The bonding is some sort of insurance?

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD
    7. scifan57
      scifan57
      Correct. The bonding company also does a criminal background check to determine if the employee is eligible to be bonded. A felony conviction would mean that you would be unacceptable to the bonding company and therefore would not be able to get a job that requires that you be bondable.
    8. tlbaker
      tlbaker
      Cool, thanks !!

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS6 Update From NYC!!! using iPF
    9. iJamesH
      iJamesH
      So in retrospect the guy is now jobless with a record and has no iPad mini.

He should have had the word "stupid" tattooed on his forehead as part of his punishment dumb idiot.
    10. tlbaker
      tlbaker
      Yup!! Lol

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD