What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update My iPad?

freesoul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I have an ipad 1. I would like to upadate it.. Right now is 4.2.1. To which version u suggest me to upgrade it? Will it erase my files or apps? Is it gnna become slower? Please suggest me from where to upagrade it. Thank u

Last edited by a moderator:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I have an ipad 1. I would like to upadate it.. Right now is 4.2.1. To which version u suggest me to upgrade it? Will it erase my files or apps? Is it gnna become slower? Please suggest me from where to upagrade it. Thank u
Here are the instructions from Apple...

Updating your iOS device

Here's a list of tips to follow prior to your upgrade:

iOS 5 Upgrade Troubleshooting

Also, be aware that the iOS 5.0.1 will be a full upgrade in your case; backup, wipe and restore process and can take a while depending on the data on you iPad. Since yours is new it shouldn't take more than an hour, but a lot depends on your broadband connection speed, Apple's server load, etc. Just be prepared to "babysit" for a while. Most of the time you can do something else, but you need to be available to confirm a couple of things now and then. Be patient and give it time and don't interrupt anything until it's fully finished.

Also, please avoid posting the same question more than once.

Happy upgrading!

Last edited:

my1dean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help! I backed up my iPad1 into iTues on my pc, downloaded the ios5 upgrade, then - when i looked in my apps - discovered that i lost all my files! Documents, images, all my work ... I've synced 2 or 3 times and nothing comes back. Is all lost or is there a way to salvage any of my work??? [heckuva price for no discernable improvements with the new ios!>]

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help! I backed up my iPad1 into iTues on my pc, downloaded the ios5 upgrade, then - when i looked in my apps - discovered that i lost all my files! Documents, images, all my work ... I've synced 2 or 3 times and nothing comes back. Is all lost or is there a way to salvage any of my work??? [heckuva price for no discernable improvements with the new ios!>]
Your iPad's files were backed up prior to the upgrade. If you haven't backed up your iPad (just allowed it to sync) you can try a restore from backup.

1. Before connecting your iPad open iTunes > Preferences > Devices > Check/enable "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically".
2. Connect your iPad to your computer and open iTunes.
3. Right-click or Control-click on your iPad (listed in the left-hand menu of iTunes).
4. Click on "Restore from backup"
5. In the pop-up ensure that you pick your iPad from the drop-down list (if you have more than one device associated).

More here:

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring iOS software

OP
F

freesoul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I will try and do that tomorrow. Hope i dont lose any files. Ive never sync my ipad before. So this time, if i back it up its fine, no?i wont need to sync it, right?

Sorry, for that. I wont post it many times again.

Thank u

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I will try and do that tomorrow. Hope i dont lose any files. Ive never sync my ipad before. So this time, if i back it up its fine, no?i wont need to sync it, right?

Sorry, for that. I wont post it many times again.

Thank u
Not a problem. Syncing and backup are two different things. By syncing your iPad to your computer you're matching what you've indicated you want on your iPad with iTunes. Also, if you've added any files, photos or apps to your iPad those will be sync'd up with your computer (providing your settings in iTunes are configured to do that).

A backup is a copy of the data on your iPad created at a specific point in time. Generally speaking when you connect your iPad to your computer a new backup will overwrite the old one and then it will sync. That's why you should be able to restore your iPad from that last backup and recover your photos...providing that no other backups have been made since you upgraded.

Note that any photos or other files that you've created on your iPad since the last backup will be lost when you recover from a previous backup. If you have files/photos you need to save, be sure that they are transferred to your computer before you initiate the recovery...by syncing only those files. Apps, music, etc. should remain in place, but if not you can re-sync or download them again (at no charge).

If, when you connect your iPad to your computer it begins a backup, immediately click on the small "X" on the far right-hand side of the progress bar at the top of iTunes to prevent it from overwriting the earlier backup.

Most reactions

Latest posts