What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to restore 1st generation iPad. Please help!

Icarus86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm having some troubles restoring my jailbroken iPad (iOS 5). It's running pretty slow these days and is bogged down with a lot of files/apps I don't use anymore and I would like to just wipe it clean/restore it. I've backed up everything I would like to keep so im not worried about losing anything, but I am completely unable to get any of my 3 computers to recognize it. I used to sync it to iTunes periodically. When I most recently tried to connect it, it was giving me the "unknown device" error within the device manager (i'm running Windows 7 x64). I've tried everything i've been able to find regarding this problem. I've followed the correct complete uninstallation of iTunes and reinstalled, i've tried 4 different USB cables (all of which work just fine with my iPhone 4 which has no connection problems to iTunes at all), and i've tried 3 different computers. I've tried placing the iPad in DFU/recovery mode and it is still not recognized by iTunes.

When connecting the iPad to computer I constantly receive the "USB Device Not Recognized" error message. When looking within the device manager I get error code 43 (that Windows has stopped the device). I would greatly appreciate getting help with this to get my iPad running smoothly again :\

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Icarus86! Welcome to iPF!

This is Apple Support's advice to solve error 43:

Try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good. Also, confirm your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers. If you still see the alert when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

Common errors: 1, 10-47, 1002, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1000-1020.

Maybe this will help as well: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3125

OP
I

Icarus86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi J.A.,

Thank you for the reply, but I can't even get my computer nor iTunes to recognize the iPad. I'm getting the "USB device has malfunctioned" and "Unknown Device" errors. Any other suggestions? :\

OP
I

Icarus86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you J.A.!

I have tried all the steps in the official Apple link you have provided. I will attempt the failsafe tutorial you have provided. In the off-chance that this will not work, would it be possible to Skype with you or something so we can make sure i'm not just being an idiot and missing something? I can Skype with a laptop and point it towards my computer monitor/iPad.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you J.A.! I have tried all the steps in the official Apple link you have provided. I will attempt the failsafe tutorial you have provided. In the off-chance that this will not work, would it be possible to Skype with you or something so we can make sure i'm not just being an idiot and missing something?
There are members such as Mickey330 or willerz2 who can give you better advice than I ever could. If this doesn't work, post again, and I'm sure one of them will join the conversation to help you.

OP
I

Icarus86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok will do. I really appreciate your advice on this. I'm following the tutorial right now, downloading the ipsw and going to attempt to put the iPad into DFU mode and see if iTunes will recognize it.

OP
I

Icarus86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No luck with entering DFU mode. I tried to forced DFU mode with redsn0w but cannot get iTunes to recognize the iPad :| I'm hoping i'll be able to get in touch with Mickey330 or willerz2

OP
I

Icarus86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Creating additional post so I can PM Mickey330 and willerz2

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Creating additional post so I can PM Mickey330 and willerz2

Your best bet is to wait for a response here. Most of the time that is what we direct our members to do when they PM for help. That way others will learn as well.

Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

OP
I

Icarus86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok skimonkey, will do.

Regarding my iPad problems, I think the greatest issue is based on the fact that my computer won't recognize the device-- so nothing is going to work within redsn0w/tinyumbrella/iTunes. If I can resolve the "USB has malfunctioned" and "Unknown device" errors, I might be able to get on the right track to restoring. At this point in time i've tried everything i've been able to find some help on. This includes uninstalling and reinstalling all USB devices through Device Manager, following the proper steps to uninstall/reinstall iTunes, and restarting the Apple Mobile Device service. I'm hitting a wall here :|

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, just hang in there. Someone is bound to see this and assist if they can.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There was a similar case a few days ago with a user that couldn't get iTunes and/or RedSn0w to recognize his device. We went about with the host configuration by removing the Apple host from the host file, and we've done a re-install of iTunes completely. If possible see if downgrading iTunes to 11.0.5 resolves the issue. Remove iTunes from your computer, then delete the library.itl file. You can do a search of it in the Start menu and it should be first (if not the only) result that comes up, and just delete that. Then install iTunes 11.0.5 for Windows 64 bit which you can get here. Plug your iPad in, and see if iTunes recognizes it either in Recovery or DFU mode.

If iTunes does not recognize it in DFU or Recovery, see if RedSn0w recognizes it. Take particular care into seeing whether or not a message comes up when you run RedSn0w with your iPad connected, and if there is a message that comes up, do bring it up here. Also note and see if you see something along the lines of "iPad 1 (Wifi) 5.1.1" followed by (DFU) or Restore in the initial screen when RedSn0w loads.

OP
I

Icarus86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you willerz2! I will try what you're suggesting and post here with what I find out about it! I'll need to completely remove iTunes first before I reinstall version 11.0.5. I'm following these instructions to uninstall: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

OP
I

Icarus86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just installed iTunes 11.0.5. Same result as before, receiving the "USB Device Has Malfunctioned" and also the "Unknown Device" error within the Device Manager. :\

Most reactions

Latest posts