What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to move to trash

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Very recently when I have tried to delete an email in the native email app, a message appears telling me that it has been unable to move the message to trash. This happens if I 'Edit' then delete the messages or even when I try to delete one message directly.
It has got to the point where I have to force the app to close after which all returns to normal as I would expect.
By the way the more I use my iPad, the more I love it. So much so that I have come to dislike intensely my laptop running on Windows 8.1. Enough said there!
Regards,
Mike

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have even rebooted my ipad yet when I go back into the mail app, the messages are there in the inbox, :(

Hopefully, I have explained the situation well enough but obviously if anyone has any questions I should be able to explain what has/is happening.

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just an update, the situation is worse than I thought as I cannot delete emails in my trash or junk folders any longer.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's the kind of thing that happens if the Mail app is having trouble communicating with the email server. Since the folders are actually on the server, a failure of the sever to respond when moving an email results in an error. {assuming your using an IMAP or Exchange server).

Things I can think of to try.

If it's just one or two emails causing the problem, go to the web version of the mail and see what you can see/do there.

Delete and re-add the email account on your iPad. This deletes everything on the iPad then syncs with the server again. It should clean up any glitches in communication between the two. Make sure you do the web mail thing first, so you don't get surprised by any emails that disappear between the cracks.

Deleting and re-adding the email account is one of the most useful fixes out there. But only if it's IMAP or Exchange. If you are using a POP account, it can cause problems: emails getting lost, or lots of old emails suddenly deciding they are unread.

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cheers, TP, I was coming to that conclusion regarding deleting the account(s) but didn't think about about the web mail thing first. I really don't want to go through the palaver of deleting and adding the account(s) again but if necessary I will do so.
Thank you so much. I will keep you and everyone posted.
Mike

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi again TP and everyone.

The matter has been resolved. Took your advice and went to my web email. Guess what, I was informed there that the servers were having problems! Great! Waited a while for them to resolve the problem their end then deleted from the web mail. Bingo! No problems so far and all appears back to normal, thankfully.
A big thanks to you TP, take care.
Mike

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a rider, in my heart of hearts I felt that it was nothing wrong with my iPad. I am growing in confidence each and to any new users out there, have faith, it rarely lets you down :)

Most reactions

Latest posts