What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Error When Deleting Emails

kiwigull11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a problem when trying to delete my emails. My ipad responds with
"Unable to move message-The message could not be moved to the mailbox Trash"
I wonder why? Anybody had the same response?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a problem when trying to delete my emails. My ipad responds with
"Unable to move message-The message could not be moved to the mailbox Trash"
I wonder why? Anybody had the same response?
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the search feature (in the toolbar at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information linked below my signature to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum.

With respect to your question, you probably need to change the Mail settings for the account.

On your iPad open the Settings App. Tap on "Mail, Contacts Calendars". From there tap on the mail account in question, then:

Account > Advanced (scroll down or clear the keyboard to see it) > Deleted Mailbox > On the Server > Trash (not Trash under "On My iPad")

See if that doesn't take care of it!

I've moved your post to the iPad Help area where you're likely to get a better response to your question and help those that follow.

Welcome again and enjoy!

BTW, we used to live in Tauranga as well as Auckland...miss it a lot and really wish we were there for the Rugby World Cup. Go The All Blacks! :)

Last edited:
OP
K

kiwigull11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
emails

Hi Rich

That worked a treat-guess I'll get the hang of this thing one day-thanks for your help
I just spent two weeks in Florida, and loved it-now back to the wet & cold of Auckland

All Blacks are the form side, let's hope they don't choke again!!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear things are working for you!

FWIW I still prefer Auckland to Florida...warm or cold...but happy you enjoyed it. ;)

BTW, the All Blacks didn't choke last cup, it was that terrible call by the official when we played France. I'm still mad about that one! :mad: We will prevail this time! :D

Yatyr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the search feature (in the toolbar at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information linked below my signature to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum.

With respect to your question, you probably need to change the Mail settings for the account.

On your iPad open the Settings App. Tap on "Mail, Contacts Calendars". From there tap on the mail account in question, then:

Account > Advanced (scroll down or clear the keyboard to see it) > Deleted Mailbox > On the Server > Trash (not Trash under "On My iPad")

See if that doesn't take care of it!

I've moved your post to the iPad Help area where you're likely to get a better response to your question and help those that follow.

Welcome again and enjoy!

BTW, we used to live in Tauranga as well as Auckland...miss it a lot and really wish we were there for the Rugby World Cup. Go The All Blacks! :)

Tank you for the helpful hint!

Haricot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a related problem which has started only recently. Deleted Mail reappears in my Inbox. Delete it again and it reappears again. The nay. Way I can delete it is to go to the server and doing from there, which rather defeats having an iPad Mail app.
My Settngs/Mail/Account/Advanced a set as follows
DELETED MESSAGES: Remove... After one day (there is no setting for Now)
INCOMING SETTINGS: Delete from Server ... When removed from Inbox

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a related problem which has started only recently. Deleted Mail reappears in my Inbox. Delete it again and it reappears again. The nay. Way I can delete it is to go to the server and doing from there, which rather defeats having an iPad Mail app.
My Settngs/Mail/Account/Advanced a set as follows
DELETED MESSAGES: Remove... After one day (there is no setting for Now)
INCOMING SETTINGS: Delete from Server ... When removed from Inbox
Well that's frustrating...and after a quick Google search apparently not unusual, but as it's been happening to others for years so it may not have anything to do with your iPad, but how your email account settings are, well, set.

Can you supply some more details? What kind of email protocol are you using (IMAP or POP3)? What kind of email account is experiencing this (Exchange, Yahoo, AOL, Gmail, email from your ISP, etc.)? What are the settings on your actual email account (not on your iPad)? Do you have more than one email account and if so does this happen on all of them? More info will help folks here diagnose the problem.

Also, have you tried restarting or resetting your iPad? That often cures the odd quirk. More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Worst case is that you might have to delete and setup your email account again.

Apple - Support - iPad - Mail Assistant

Most reactions

Latest posts