What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Step Verification Question

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My password keeps getting hacked and Apps (all free) "bought" from my account so I'm doing the 2 step Apple verification. I have to wait 3 days to initiate it. I don't have an iPhone. Can the security codes be sent by Apple through a regular cell phone?
Thanks!

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My password keeps getting hacked and Apps (all free) "bought" from my account so I'm doing the 2 step Apple verification. I have to wait 3 days to initiate it. I don't have an iPhone. Can the security codes be sent by Apple through a regular cell phone?
Thanks!

Hello hpowders,

Welcome to the forum. Your problem, which I'm pleased to see you solved, is a concern. Luckily the hacker could only access free apps for now. I'm sure the 2 step verification process will provide the level of security you need for you account.

Are you an iPad user?

The forum is a useful place to look for help and to share experiences etc. Here are 3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the iPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html/] iPad tips and tricks
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html/]iPad ios5 tips and tricks
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/61009-easy-pictorial-shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html/]pictorial shortcuts and helpful places

I hope you will stay around and enjoy the benefits of forum membership.

Richard Brown
A member of the iPF moderators' team.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk.

OP
H

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Richard.

Yes. I have an iPad 2. Very annoying. The person changes my Apple password and then I have no access! Am due to set up the 2 step verification tomorrow. Apple requires a 3 day grace period after you set up a new password. This is my 7th password in 6 months! Hopefully this process will finally put an end to this!

Thanks for the help, Richard!

Sincerely,

hpowders

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I set up the two step authentication some time ago. Be certain to accurately save the recovery code. They make it difficult not to, for good reason. And be sure to save it in a safe place that the (person) is sure not to have access to. I keep mine in 1Password, synced to several devices so I can get to it anywhere.

Since you didn't say, I'll also mention that the code can be sent to a designated device using SMS instead of iMessages. That's the choice that makes it possible to use a phone other than the iPhone. I've used the two step method once since activating it, and you are given the choice of how to send it and to what device when you try to change your account info.

Good luck.

OP
H

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!

My wife and I have 2 basic cell phones-hers has messaging ($10/month). Mine doesn't. My phone has message blocking because I would get nuisance messages sent to my phone and I would be getting charged 20 cents for the privilege of receiving each of them! The access code system for two step verification worked fine with my wife's cell phone. But, when listing my cell phone as a backup, the access code never came through, since I have message blocking, so I have to either pay $10 a month for messaging or pay 20 cents for each message sent or received through Verizon in order to use my cell phone with two step verification. Doing the latter subjects me once again to unsolicited junk messages which I have to pay for. In either case, the criminals have won, making what once was such an easy thing to do, now becomes a genuine, expensive PITA!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You should also have the choice of receiving the code on your iPad via iMessage. If the iPad is wi-fi only, that would limit you to making account changes when the iPad is on a network, but you might find that preferable to activating SMS on your cellphone; especially since you'll still have your wife's phone as a backup.

OP
H

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I will investigate this.

Update: Through iCloud, I was able to get my iPad 2 as a recognized, trusted device for 2 step verification. I will no longer have to bother my wife to get the access code through her cell phone (I will keep it as a "backup" device) nor do I have to activate messaging on my cell phone and shell out some extra money.

Thanks, twerppoet for the iMessage idea. Great stuff! :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts