What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two iPads Synch Question

lferrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad 2 and, instead of electing to set up as a new device, I restored the back up from my old iPad. I want to give my old IPad to my wife. I reset the settings and content. Where do I go from here? How do I get the old iPad set up as a new device with some, but not all, of the apps, settings, content, etc?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad 2 and, instead of electing to set up as a new device, I restored the back up from my old iPad. I want to give my old IPad to my wife. I reset the settings and content. Where do I go from here? How do I get the old iPad set up as a new device with some, but not all, of the apps, settings, content, etc?

One of Forum members, twerppoet, posted this advice for transferring content from one iPad to another.

"In iTunes, with your iPad connected, choose you iPad under devices.

Right click on the iPad and do a Backup.

Right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases.

Explore iTunes on the computer and make sure all your media and apps are there.

That will do most of what you need. To be on the safe side, go through any of your apps that store or create documents and make sure you email, or otherwise save them to the computer. Be sure to include the Saved Pictures album in iPhotos.

When you get your new iPad sync it to same account and computer. Right click on the device and choose Restore from Backup. I'm not completely sure of the right sequence in the restore procedure, so you might want to grab the iPad User's Guide. But as long as you did the first part with the old iPad you should be able to fumble you're way to a complete recovery of all your stuff.

Before you send back your iPad, be sure to Restore it from the main device screen. This will remove all your personal data and set it to the same state you received it in."

I guess you might not want to do this last part.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Connect the iPad to the computer, go into iTunes and select it under the devices list.

You'll see a bunch of tabs at the top. Work your way through them and setting up syncing as you go. It might be a good idea to look over the settings on the not-to-be-changed iPad first, just so you have an idea of what will do what.

When you have it the way you want, sync.

You can prevent the iPad from attempting to auto sync by going to iTunes preferences, the Devices tab, and checking the Prevent autosync check box.

Most reactions

Latest posts