What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manually synching music ?

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to delete the music off my iPad and re-sync a cleaned up version of my iTunes library back onto it. I've got all the boxes unchecked that I can think of as far as auto-synching etc. My question is can I do just the music without affecting apps or anything else? I know I need to do one sync to wipe the music, unplug the iPad and plug it back in to re-sync. My question is once I go into the music tab of my iPad and check all the appropriate boxes for the music I want and hit Apply or Sync, will it then only affect the music and not do anything to apps or pics or anything else? In other words, do the different tabs work completely independant of one another when you're synching within them? The reason I'm concerned is that when I go into the Apps tab and click to not sync apps, I get the warning about "Are you sure...all your apps will be deleted" etc. Does that warning apply only if I'm hitting the Apply/Sync button within the Apps tab itself?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you sync in the music tab, it will only sync the music. Make sure you have backed up as normal. The only reason it would sync any others, is when you have changed anything in them.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What sort of changes? Because of critical PC space issues I've deleted a bunch of non-essential apps off the PC. I know they'll disappear off the iPad if I sync apps at some point but for now they're functionable at least. I'm just hoping synching music only will leave the apps as they are.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, like you, I had to delete apps. I had way too many! If you have only changed the music then that's all that will change. When I change more than 1 tab, it will sync all the ticked boxes. So if you are unsure, check all ticked boxes to make sure everything is alright. In my case, I had to check 161 apps so it took awhile.

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My concern is the apps I've deleted off the PC. If all the boxes are ticked won't the ones that've been deleted get deleted off the iPad when it syncs since they're no longer actually there to sink to? Sorry for being so dense but I'm not as computer literate as I probably need to be to mess with the more than basic functions. I do appreciate your help. :)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
idave23 said:
My concern is the apps I've deleted off the PC. If all the boxes are ticked won't the ones that've been deleted get deleted off the iPad when it syncs since they're no longer actually there to sink to? Sorry for being so dense but I'm not as computer literate as I probably need to be to mess with the more than basic functions. I do appreciate your help. :)

I'm not sure what you mean? In my estimation, they will but you can always retrieve them from the app store if you want to. You don't get charged once you have bought it.

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
I'm not sure what you mean? In my estimation, they will but you can always retrieve them from the app store if you want to. You don't get charged once you have bought it.

Yeah, I was just trying to avoid having to go thru that. I guess I'll just give it a whirl and see what happens. Thank you. :)

Most reactions