Popular microblogging platform and social networking Tumblr and free-access online encyclopedia Wikipedia have both released some important updates to their iOS apps. Tumblr has reached version 4.0.1 and Wikipedia is now at version 4.1.0. Let's have a look at all the new features and changes that have been made available in these apps.
- Create new blogs from inside the app - Ever get an idea for a blog while you’re out on the town, or up in an aeroplane? Make it, name it, give it an avatar, give it a header image, title it, describe it, post your first post to it—all before you even return to the Earth.
- Make video posts using a video’s URL - Copy a URL from YouTube or Vimeo or another such site, slap it into the app, and you got yourself a video post. This is apparently your most-requested feature for the mobile app. Smart. We love it. Here you go.
- Submit to blogs that accept submissions - Situation: You’re deep-sea diving with your waterproof phone, snapping pics of fish and treasure chests and the sea god Neptune. Stuff that’s perfect for that submission-based SCUBA blog you follow. Now you can submit a post to it right from the briny deep.
- A widget for your widget collection - Witness today’s trending tags without even opening the app. Install it thusly: 1. From anywhere in your phone, swipe down from the top of your screen to open up your “Today” view. This is where all your widgets live. 2. Flick your way to the bottom, then tap the “Edit” button. 3. Find “Trending on Tumblr” in the list. There ya go.
- Filter searches by post type - Just looking for photos? We’ll just show you photos. Just looking for chats? Sure. You can do that, too.
- More new features - New icon. Feels good under your finger; Sticky search bar. Convenient for those heavy search sessions; Sticky avatars on iPad. Always, always know who made the post you’re currently reading. Never forget; Clean, fresh look for the iPad; GIFs load in a much more pleasing fashion. You’ll see; You can delete blogs from the app, which sounds like something only a troublemaker would need to do, but okay.
Source: Tumblr, Wikipedia
- Enhanced sharing - Tap the Share button, or highlight an interesting fact from an article and tap "Share" to create an image which can be shared to social networks and other platforms
- Search improvements - search now supports fulltext lookup and results now also have quick descriptions below them when available
- Lead images - experience Wikipedia like never before with a prominent, contextually-relevant image and description at the top of articles
- Image gallery - tap on images to view them full-screen. Swipe left or right to browse other images within the article
- Read more - suggestions for further reading at the bottom of articles