What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring book for partially sighted

pascalirose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My cousin (age 90) has a two month old IPad. She uses it to read books in very large type. I would like to send her an unpublished book from my Mac Book Pro via the Internet - in sections if I have to. It has pictures.
I do not have access to my cousin's IPad, nor do I have one. What format do I need to put the book in so that her IPad can read it? What apps does she need to read it? I am happy to purchase an app for her if I knew what it was and how to get it to her. Can you assist me to make this book transfer?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
She is probably using iBooks to read with, in which case your best option is to use the epub format.

Since you have a Mac Book Pro, you probably also have Pages (hopefully a recent version). If the document is not already in Pages, import it. It has an epub export option. You wouldn't want to publish a book this way, but it should be good enough for what you want to do.

You can open the results in iBooks yourself. If you don't have an iOS device you can use the OS X iBooks app to look at it.

Once you have the ebub, go ahead and email it to your cousin. When it arrives in Mail on her iPad she can tap the attachment and it should give her the option to open it in iBooks.

If this method is not possible, or works poorly, you can get and try the Calibre app on your Mac. It's not the easiest app to use, but it's a powerhouse of conversion tools.

Most reactions

Latest posts