What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfering documents

hookem sartain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My husband wants to transfer some course work from the iMac that he has downloaded from a disk to my iPad so he can take it while he is away...is this possible?

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe it can be done through iTunes file sharing though I have never tried this. Otherwise he could upload to Dropbox or similar cloud service and open with one of the apps on your iPad and save. Depends maybe on the size of the file. Are you really allowing him to take your iPad away with him?!

dowtchaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Can you give us some idea of the type of application? Some types are dead easy to transfer and read offline ( i.e. when theres no internet connection available, which is what I presume your husband wants?). Other types are awkward to transfer and maybe require an app installed to read.

If his coursework is in PDF form, it's very straightforward. You can transfer these files using iTunes, or any of the free wifi apps, and they will turn up in the Biooks app, ready to be read. If he wants to do some work on them, perhaps edit or annotate them, well that's a little more complicated.

By the way if you are a total newbie, there's a free downloadable manual available from Apple that covers most of the basics including getting files down to the iPad from mac or pc - just Google it and when you find it you can simply download it to iBooks.

Getting stuff out of the iPad to macs or pcs is a little more difficult/ less intuitive.

I have a lot of textbooks and PDF documents, as well as .epub documents from places like makeuseof.com, in iBooks, in addition to the usual novels etc. Its a very handy place to stash crib sheets, notes, tech manuals, Linux howtos etc.

Evernote and its competitors would be another way to use the iPad as a neat "when i feel like it" reader for all the stuff you run across on the net.
P@

Most reactions

Latest posts