What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Word documents viewable on iPad

David Anderson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have a iPad mini and want to take it away on a trip with a lot of Word documents that I may want to refer to while away. I have tried using a USB memory stick after buying a plug in for an iPad but it seems the power required to activate the USB stick it too much for the iPad!!!?? [and only one plug] I want to put on, or at least have access to, about 200 files that are not particularly large. Why is it not possible to use this USB stick etc..? I am aware it is possible to put files on to the iPad via my iMac but there are a lot of files to upload. Are all tablets as restrictive as this with moving data on to them…..it seems to me to be a black art? My iPad seems only useful to look at the web and store images and not for "real" work! I may have to look at other manufacturers but I like Apple stuff…..Help?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

You can't connect the USB memory stick to the iPad directly. Here's what's possible, though:

Use an iUSB port - here's a website link to a review which will explain more: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-connect/75570-cloudftp.html

There's also Apotop Wi-Reader: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/apotop-wi-reader-wireless-reader-router.109434/

You can also use cloud storage such as Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, .... to look at the files. In that case you don't need the USB stick, but an internet connection (there's the option to view them offline as well, that would take storage space on your iPad).

Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts