What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Torn between an I Pad 2 and a Macbook Air 11

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends on what is your needs. If you are wanting to do 3G, you will have to do it with a dongle on the MBA. If you have a big need for Flash, the MBA will do Flash, but the iPad won't. However, most find that there is not as much Flash only content out there as they thought. If you plan on using MS Office or cannot deal with a touch sceen keyboard, then the MBA. But if you are looking for a great experience in mobile usage, with endless possibilities, and thousands of apps, the iPad is what you want.

Geo411m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got both and I use my iPad a lot more. I only use the air if I need to do serious typing or syncing. The iPad can do so much and it's battery life is double the MBA.

Sent from my iPad

OP
R

r12rtpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ridesroadsandeats.com
Both....I wish!:D

I have a Mac with a 27" screen at home for playing with my photos, and at work a Windows 7 PC. I was originally drawn to the MacBook Air with it's Flash drive as a powerful computer I could take with my on my motorcycle adventures and process pix as I went...

But then, I thought, can't I do that when I get home? It seems most of my home usage is doing what I am doing right now, which is surfing the web, checking into forums, etc, etc. For that, the I Pad would be superb.

I don't foresee doing much actual work with either the Macbook or I Pad-I save that for my 6:30 a.m. to 5:00p.m. life!:D The other thing is, as a noobie, I am not yet aware of all the apps I could use to make my potential I Pad more work-productive!:)

Since there don't seem to be any I Pad 2s for sale anywhere, I've got a couple of months to decide!:p

Steve in Glendora
"It's all good till it's not."

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like everyone, you need to examine your use case. If it is primarily an input device, I'd get the Macbook. More flexible and better for input.

If it is primarily for output, the iPad is a great viewing device. If you don't plan to use in one-handed consumption mode, get the Macbook.

I have a laptop as a desktop replacement and ordered an iPad2 for when I'm in meetings or primarily doing email or consuming info.

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get an iPad 2, wireless keyboard, and a lot of office apps. You should be good

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been mulling over both and my brain finally defaulted to "neither." Too hard of a choice!:confused:

Steve in Glendora

MBA runs with Snow Leopard which in turn has Exchange interface built in and is faster than iPAD. That makes for slick interface at work. If you are travel for work this might be of considerable convenience. Also is has USB 2.0 and can support Flash. These are the controversial interface issues that are not designed in iPAD/iPAD2. FWiW

At $999, you may find the MBA can do a majority of what you do. By the time you outfit an iPAD2 with all the accessories and apps the price might be about the same.

Last edited:

Teerexx52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had the same discussion here at home with the wife. My only reason for keeping the ipad 2 and selling the 11" Air is I have a 13" Air. The 13" in my opinion is just as easy to take along as the 11". Granted the foot print is different but in going from Starbucks to Panera to the various malls with mine no big difference as far as I'm concerned. The thing I'm trying to get accustomed to is entering data into the ipad 2. I'm still working on a way to get it situated on a table to type on it. The virtual keyboard work ok for me and I have also used an external keyboard. Hate to lug it along though.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2....it's a magical experience and an opportunity to join the post-pc era..lmao

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you already have the 27 inch imac ( I have that one too!) I'd get ipad2. I love my ipad1 but if I was buying now I'd get the 2. But I'm waiting for ipad with retina display before I upgrade.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rasputina said:
Since you already have the 27 inch imac ( I have that one too!) I'd get ipad2. I love my ipad1 but if I was buying now I'd get the 2. But I'm waiting for ipad with retina display before I upgrade.

Concur,

I've had the same thoughts as above and decided to wait for gen 2 of the MBA when 3G/4G is available. For me, ipad2 was not considered either due to wanting higher resolution and possibly 4G in my next pad.

Cheers

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my Mac and it's crystal clear, stunning screen, but I hate to be tied to it at home...this is where the I Pad would shine, if I'm reading you all correctly...

Steve in So Cal

It would shine like the North Star ;-). iPad makes everything so much easier and the portability of it can't be beat. I know Mac book air is a very cool device and light but it can't be held with one hand and typing with the other. I'd go with ipad2. U won't be srry u did!

OP
R

r12rtpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ridesroadsandeats.com
I really appreciate all the insights everyone has provided. This is probably one of the most user friendly sites to noobs I've ever visited, and believe me, I am a noob at lots of stuff!:D

Now, I just need to find an I Pad 2...doesn't seem to be one available anywhere! Maybe I'll have to play hooky and go stand in line one morning...:eek:

Steve in So Cal

Most reactions

Latest posts