What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To buy or not to buy

Kilted2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying an iPad. It would probably be a used or refurbished iPad 2 with 3G. I have two questions. 1.any advice on buying used? 2. Since I have an iPhone and laptop, should I get an iPad at all? Truthfully it's more of a want than a need, but I've lusted after one for a while.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPF.

We are a multinational group sharing an interest in Apple products, particularly the various iPad models. Although we have no affiliation with the company, we have many members who are extremely knowledgable on various aspects of the products.

Whether you have one question or comment, or have longer-term aims, you are welcome to join us.

Here are some useful links:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8

Here's where to get the free forum app for easier browsing of the threads.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html

Contains a huge amount of information which you may find useful.

http://www.ipadforums.net/off-topic/29728-anything-goes-thread.html

http://www.ipadforums.net/off-topic/57514-what-you-guys-doing-right-now.html

Where you can meet some of our members and find out what everyone is talking about. Don't be shy. Join the party.

Here's a link to the rules, so you can see what's allowed and what's not.

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Remember the last rule above all. HAVE FUN.

On to your question. Buying used could be a good way of testing the water. Prices should be quite palatable now that the iPad 2 is two models distant. The fact that it is still supported fully is a bonus. There is, of course, some risk attached, as there is with any used equipment.

Only you know what your requirements are, but I find that having both devices is very useful. They complement each other perfectly, and there are some neat apps which are only available on the iPad.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kilted2000 said:
I'm thinking about buying an iPad. It would probably be a used or refurbished iPad 2 with 3G. I have two questions. 1.any advice on buying used? 2. Since I have an iPhone and laptop, should I get an iPad at all? Truthfully it's more of a want than a need, but I've lusted after one for a while.

If buying used might be an idea to check out refurbished ones from Apple, from what I hear they are great and will come with a full years warranty.

If buying elsewhere,eBay etc.....have a good look at it for evidence of it being dropped or the screen replaced......I read of someone else buying used, the screen had been replaced, probably by themselves and the result was the wifi didn't work anymore. So if you do the handover, in say a shopping centre that has free wifi, you could see if it does detect and connect. You will want to restore a used pad, any apps that may be already on it do not become yours and will need the ID and password which they were bought with to do any updates. From a security viewpoint it is best to restore to factory settings and start fresh.

Do the handover in a crowded area like a shopping centre....this is all about your security here.

I have a MBP and iPhone and received my new iPhone just an hour ago but there's no way I would be without my iPad and plan on getting the iPad mini also. The iPad is just so easy and quick....no more waiting for a laptop to boot up. The portability is wonderful if you do travel which I do, so much easier to take an iPad rather than lug a laptop around.

I have the 3G also and use it all the time for GPS even though my car has a sat nav, the size of the screen just makes it so good for this and you don't even need a charged sim for this to work as the GPS chip is built into the iPad.

I still use my MBP for large tasks but that's very rare nowadays, the iPad is just so wonderful at handling a multitude of tasks. You will be amazed what you do use it for, probably much more than what you are thinking of right now. Hope this helps you!

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
1.any advice on buying used?.

seconds leelai - if i were to buy a used one i'd either go through Apple's own site and refurbished ones, or buy one from a friend or relative. i'd personally never spend that type of money on a tech product second hand from ebay. just my preference.

I2. Since I have an iPhone and laptop, should I get an iPad at all? Truthfully it's more of a want than a need, but I've lusted after one for a while.

well, if it wont change your life essentially, or run your business, or make your being worth while then no, there is no should. as you say, if you lust after one (and who doesnt) then buy one. it's all down to funds permitting. it aint a general life changer on the whole with an attitude like yours :) some it is, some it isn't. buy one and enjoy it :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I lusted after any item for a long time and could reasonably afford it, I wouldn't hesitate. If I couldn't afford it, I'd try to lust after something I could afford, lol.

If you buy through Apple or another legit retailer, you can buy, test drive and return if it doesn't live up to expectations. Seems straightforward to me.

Most reactions

Latest posts