What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The official ipad2 smart cover

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Ok, you've paid a small fortune for it, it probably isn't really completely worth it, but I'm curious what you think of it and how you actually use it?

Ive had mine a couple of months now - a black leather one. I use it daily when the iPad is out and about around the house, to keep the screen safe and to switch the thing off and on.

But what about the clever folding thing where it becomes a stand, either land scape or portrait?
To be honest I never do that. Never. I just open the cover and fold it back under the rear side and start typing or browsing. Infact, I don't think I've ever folded it up into the stand it's also designed for. I've tried it but it feels forced and awkward.

Ok, it's not a miracle item Apple make out, it's very expensive and it certainly doesn't keep the screen clean (infact, if anythig, it ironically leaves 'lines' on the screen and makes the screen dirtier than without it).

But i still love it. Looks cool, very minimalist, keeps battery life and convenience of on/off functionality to an easy minimum, and does (and has) protected the screen where it might have otherwise scratched.

It's effectively used on a daily bases in my house.

In hindsight I'd still buy one but probably give it a 6/10

How do you use it, how much do you use it, and what do you think of it now you've had a week or 3 to experience it?

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had it for a few months and I like it a fair bit. I use the stand all the time. It took me a bit to realize you have to fold the triangle with the microfiber on the inside, so if won't collect crap, but I use it to put on the table while I read. Also, I will occasionally put it on that to type.

Overall I like, but only about 7/10 as there is much room for improvement.

pigpenz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty much in total agreement with you, ninety percent of the time I just fold it behind the back, the only time I fold it and use it as a stand is when I'm at a desk and will not be interacting heavily with my iPad (while watching a movie, playing music etc). The price is a definite downfall but the cover does protect the screen very well and I don't mind that it leaves lines of dirt across the display, those are easier to wipe than the entire thing. I've been using the smart cover for about three weeks and overall I'm pretty satisfied with it. 7 out of 10

littlesue73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used my smart cover as a stand when I'm watching BBC iplayer, but when just using it too surf and type I either take it off or just fold it behind like it's protecting the back of the iPad.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually use it folded into a triangle as it was designed quite a bit. The majority of the time it's in my lap while I'm reclining in my easy chair in front of the TV. Also on the table while I eat breakfast. Admittedly it's not perfect or completely comfortable so adding a cushion or pillow helps. But IMO it's worth the "small fortune":p for the magnets and the auto-off/auto-on function alone.

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hufn said:
I've had it for a few months and I like it a fair bit. I use the stand all the time. It took me a bit to realize you have to fold the triangle with the microfiber on the inside, so if won't collect crap, but I use it to put on the table while I read. Also, I will occasionally put it on that to type.

Overall I like, but only about 7/10 as there is much room for improvement.

Well, I just learned something from this thread....didn't know that you could fold with the top side out..thanks!

Golfnut61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used mine since getting my iPad2...a gift from my wonderful son..which included the smart cover. We use the stand regularly for FaceTime, and I use it when typing (right now)..this is my first iPad so it was natural for me and not uncomfortable at all Love that it turns it off.

mrquod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hang on.

Fold it with the outside out?

How do you do that, then?

The only way I've found of doing that thattaways means that two of the triangle bits are held together with nothing more than magnetic pull, whilst the weight of the top half of the ipad is sloooowly leveraging the two bits apart.

I've explained that really badly but, basically, IME that means that the whole thing goes clattering over backwards with a sharp 'crack' every 30s. Unless you're super super gentle about touchign the top of the screen.

Whereas if you connect it with the inside out, then it's got the STRONG magnets connecting the iPad to the cover, and the cover itself is kept in a triangular shape by solid stuff pushing against other solid stuff, so it's pretty much uncollapsible.

Meowzart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use it all the time but I think it's not as smart as it thinks it is. I'm searching for a different cover with more drop protection but not too much bulk but iPad 5 will probably be out before I figure out which one to get. What I don't like: it falls off, the cover comes unfolded out of its little triangle at annoying times and the angle of the cover when folded is annoying. And it was expensive.

dobbey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many people on the internet think its expensive because of the magnets. Magnets are cheap.

Sent from my Desire HD using iPad Forums

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
Ok, you've paid a small fortune for it, it probably isn't really completely worth it, but I'm curious what you think of it and how you actually use it?

Ive had mine a couple of months now - a black leather one. I use it daily when the iPad is out and about around the house, to keep the screen safe and to switch the thing off and on.

But what about the clever folding thing where it becomes a stand, either land scape or portrait?
To be honest I never do that. Never. I just open the cover and fold it back under the rear side and start typing or browsing. Infact, I don't think I've ever folded it up into the stand it's also designed for. I've tried it but it feels forced and awkward.

Ok, it's not a miracle item Apple make out, it's very expensive and it certainly doesn't keep the screen clean (infact, if anythig, it ironically leaves 'lines' on the screen and makes the screen dirtier than without it).

But i still love it. Looks cool, very minimalist, keeps battery life and convenience of on/off functionality to an easy minimum, and does (and has) protected the screen where it might have otherwise scratched.

How do you use it, how much do you use it, and what do you think of it now you've had a week or 3 to experience it?

Same here, I tried folding it over as a stand, but it's not safe, so.... I bought a stand. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

mixdiver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does any one know how to clean the INSIDE of the Smart Cover so it doesn't leave lines on the screen?
I'm now aware that the oils on the inside of the cover are from my hands because I kept the cover unfolded while flipped back. Now I've learned to fold it in half while flipped back thus protecting the inside from contamination ! Wish the instructions told me this before...
Any cleaning suggestions?

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:

Same here, I tried folding it over as a stand, but it's not safe, so.... I bought a stand. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

For typing angles you can fold either side out and it will be stable. For stand up position you can only fold the microfiber side out or it won't be stable.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does any one know how to clean the INSIDE of the Smart Cover so it doesn't leave lines on the screen?
I'm now aware that the oils on the inside of the cover are from my hands because I kept the cover unfolded while flipped back. Now I've learned to fold it in half while flipped back thus protecting the inside from contamination ! Wish the instructions told me this before...
Any cleaning suggestions?

Those lineas are the oils from your fingers that were already there. The microfiber on the inside of the cover soaked them up everywhere but where it doesn't actually touch the screen, in the fold recesses. Those you'll need to wipe off those remaining area with a microfiber cloth.

AlxiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody this is my first post so be gentle :)

I actually love the smart cover. Ok, it's not as Mr Jobs says a cleaning device but it is good to protect the screen from dust and dirt. I use the folding mechanism for both the typing service and watching movies in bed in landscape. It's not perfect but it serves the purposes I need it to.

Nice to talk to you all.

Sent from my iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts