What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Case For/Against Updating

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Let me preface this question with a disclaimer. I am not anti-Apple. Though my senior citizen status would preclude me from saying I am a "fanboy" I am and have always been pro Apple products---ever since my original 128K Mac!

That said, I am interested in getting your opinion on what I see as a persistent problem: (maybe?) planned obsolence. I buy a new iphone or iPad, then install all updates as they are rolled out. My device then runs slower and slower. Finally, I realize I have to buy a new device to speed things up.

I really feel bad when I look around the house and see my old iPad1, iPad2, and iPad 3 just gathering dust as I use my twelve inch iPad Pro!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the seeming slowdown is due to the fact that the older devices have slower processors and less RAM. There are, however, many tasks that an older device can do just as well as the latest and greatest. Music is one example as is playback of video content. Email is usually just as usable as well.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some of the seeming slowdown is due to the fact that the older devices have slower processors and less RAM. There are, however, many tasks that an older device can do just as well as the latest and greatest. Music is one example as is playback of video content. Email is usually just as usable as well.

Yeah, I understand. But what I am talking about is running the same apps on the same platform, but with an updated iOS.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is hardly an Apple thing. All computers get slower as years and updates come along. Tablets (and smart phones) have been more so because both the Operating Systems and the hardware have been improving so rapidly.

Actually the pace has slowed somewhat recently. The iPad 3, only a year younger than iPad 2, does fairly well with the new update. Of course, it has twice the RAM, which seems to be the biggest problem with older iPads.

My original Nexus 7 tablet is also slow and clunky, despite being newer than the iPad 2.

It's not planned obsolescence . It's progress. Something every tablet and smart phone maker dares not ignore if they want to stay in business.

As far as doing the updates for the older devices, Apple's in a lose-lose position. If they update the devices, and support as many new features as possible, the performance is going to suffer. If they stop updating, people get mad because their outdated device is not getting the newest features and/or newer apps.

Either way, a group of people feel they are being 'forced' to upgrade.

Since there are a lot of other benefits to keeping as many devices as possible on the same OS, Apple takes the performance hit over the outdated device hit.

Or that's how I see it anyway. Tim Cook and the other Apple Execs haven't been dropping by my place to chat lately. I wonder if it's something I said?

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is hardly an Apple thing. All computers get slower as years and updates come along. Tablets (and smart phones) have been more so because both the Operating Systems and the hardware have been improving so rapidly.

Actually the pace has slowed somewhat recently. The iPad 3, only a year younger than iPad 2, does fairly well with the new update. Of course, it has twice the RAM, which seems to be the biggest problem with older iPads.

My original Nexus 7 tablet is also slow and clunky, despite being newer than the iPad 2.

It's not planned obsolescence . It's progress. Something every tablet and smart phone maker dares not ignore if they want to stay in business.

As far as doing the updates for the older devices, Apple's in a lose-lose position. If they update the devices, and support as many new features as possible, the performance is going to suffer. If they stop updating, people get mad because their outdated device is not getting the newest features and/or newer apps.

Either way, a group of people feel they are being 'forced' to upgrade.

Since there are a lot of other benefits to keeping as many devices as possible on the same OS, Apple takes the performance hit over the outdated device hit.

Or that's how I see it anyway. Tim Cook and the other Apple Execs haven't been dropping by my place to chat lately. I wonder if it's something I said?

Your points are cogent, as usual, twerppoet, but there is still one issue that augurs for planned obsolence---and it is this business of Apple's (to me) quickly relegating ony given version of iOS to the dustbin. If I could only roll back the operating systems on my earlier devices, I would gladly live with not being able to run newer versions of various apps (which, themselves, should continue to be available---as many are). I keep my iPad 1 near my tv so that I can look up a word now or then as I watch French tv. And I use my iPad 2 in mirroring mode to watch YouTube videos, etc. My daughter has confiscated my iPad 3, but I don't think she is unhappy with it. I just "pigged out" a bit when the Pro came out! But I am resisting all those harassing messages about updating by removing those automatic downloads.

All in all, I don't think Apple is treating me right!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The inability to roll back versions is a combination of security, and Apple preventing unauthorized use of it's OS on third party devices. Also, keeping most people on the most current OS makes maintaining the software much easier.

It is easier to maintain quality when you have control, and we know that Apple, historically, has favored quality over almost every other feature in it's operating systems. It tends to make them control freeks.

But, yes, it is hugely inconvinient for those that want more controle over what their devices run.

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Let me preface this question with a disclaimer. I am not anti-Apple. Though my senior citizen status would preclude me from saying I am a "fanboy" I am and have always been pro Apple products---ever since my original 128K Mac!

That said, I am interested in getting your opinion on what I see as a persistent problem: (maybe?) planned obsolence. I buy a new iphone or iPad, then install all updates as they are rolled out. My device then runs slower and slower. Finally, I realize I have to buy a new device to speed things up.

I really feel bad when I look around the house and see my old iPad1, iPad2, and iPad 3 just gathering dust as I use my twelve inch iPad Pro!

At least with Apple you have a choice to not take an update.
With the Amazon Fires, you 'vill' get an update whether you want it or not. And when you least expect it.

Most reactions

Latest posts