What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The big decision.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dobbey said:
I know I want an ipad, but buying it means spending almost all my savings. Is it worth it when I have a laptop (though I don't use it except for internet) and a smartphone? Is it worth the £399
Cheers

Sent from my Desire HD using iPad Forums

If you only use your laptop for Internet browsing, why not sell it and buy an iPad? You will not be disappointed :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
akintomide said:
If it is not a tool then it is a toy - iPad2. Who needs an expensive toy?

I beg to differ, the iPad is very definitely not a toy. It can accomplish most things a laptop can, and with clever use of storage, data can be safely and easily retained. I remember being of the same opinion when I got my first iPad....( it's just a toy, a bit of fun) two years down the line and I have yet to find a task that hasn't got the appropriate app related to it. Sure, high end video editing and similar tasks still require a PC. But if you had told me that I would be able to set up an iPad as a recording studio I would have laughed politely. Now that's exactly what I do.

A tip on making a decision, is to make a list of tasks you want to perform...... All of them. Then ask members here, or search the app store. You will find that far from being a toy, the iPad is a truly multifunction IOS device with many, many uses.

Rant Over

Normal Jeff has returned to the building :)

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vintage90 said:
I beg to differ, the iPad is very definitely not a toy. It can accomplish most things a laptop can, and with clever use of storage, data can be safely and easily retained. I remember being of the same opinion when I got my first iPad....( it's just a toy, a bit of fun) two years down the line and I have yet to find a task that hasn't got the appropriate app related to it. Sure, high end video editing and similar tasks still require a PC. But if you had told me that I would be able to set up an iPad as a recording studio I would have laughed politely. Now that's exactly what I do.

A tip on making a decision, is to make a list of tasks you want to perform...... All of them. Then ask members here, or search the app store. You will find that far from being a toy, the iPad is a truly multifunction IOS device with many, many uses.

Rant Over

Normal Jeff has returned to the building :)

Thanks. For people like you, the ipad2 is certainly a tool. I have discovered that it is more of a tool to many people than being a toy. If it is a tool then any investment on purchasing one is a worthy investment. In other words, one can save to get a tool. I am happy many people see the iPad2 as a tool and a toy as well.

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know I want an ipad, but buying it means spending almost all my savings.

Spending your savings on something that is going to depreciate the second the next Ipad comes out( in 10 months or so) is, frankly, very poor financial decision-making. My advice would be for you to put aside a little every week/month/whatever, until you can afford it without emptying your bank account. If that means you can't afford one until the Ipad 3 then so be it, but I can't see the sense in killing yourself financially to own one.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G.P said:
Spending your savings on something that is going to depreciate the second the next Ipad comes out( in 10 months or so) is, frankly, very poor financial decision-making. My advice would be for you to put aside a little every week/month/whatever, until you can afford it without emptying your bank account. If that means you can't afford one until the Ipad 3 then so be it, but I can't see the sense in killing yourself financially to own one.

No point whatsoever in buying anything can't afford. Good advice from G.P. Goes for anything we have finance companies here in the uk who ate offering " Loans" that you are supposed to pay back on receipt of your salary. The interest rates are unbelievable. 3246% is not unusual.

People that operate this type of organisation are at best immoral, and at worst, would require me to use words I would be banned from the forum for.

Most reactions

Latest posts