What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing email deletes on Pop3 accounts

gspam1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just returned from my first business trip with the iPad and it worked out much better than expected. I was disappointed to see however that my emails deleted on the iPad were not deleted from the server. I use cox.net.

Is there a set up I can use to have the emails deleted from the iPad also delete from the server so they all do not download again when I return from a trip?

I use Outlook 2007 on my desktop, fyi. Thanks!

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hm, curious. I can only confirm that my gmail and exchange server mail work perfectly. So it isn't a general problem.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
I just returned from my first business trip with the iPad and it worked out much better than expected. I was disappointed to see however that my emails deleted on the iPad were not deleted from the server. I use cox.net.

Is there a set up I can use to have the emails deleted from the iPad also delete from the server so they all do not download again when I return from a trip?

On your iPad, in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Select Your Mail Account > Scroll Down to "Advanced" and under Deleted Messages, select Remove "After one day" (It's probably currently set to "After one month". That should get your deleted messages off your server so they don't download.

Three notes:

1. It's got nothing to do with using Outlook 2007.
  2. Imap isn't an issue or a solution.
  3. If you're using a web interface (this is true of Gmail), it might be set so that deleted messages get downloaded, unless you empty the trash. (I know this isn't your situation).

OP
G

gspam1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

On your iPad, in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Select Your Mail Account > Scroll Down to "Advanced" and under Deleted Messages, select Remove "After one day" (It's probably currently set to "After one month". That should get your deleted messages off your server so they don't download.

Three notes:

1. It's got nothing to do with using Outlook 2007.
  2. Imap isn't an issue or a solution.
  3. If you're using a web interface (this is true of Gmail), it might be set so that deleted messages get downloaded, unless you empty the trash. (I know this isn't your situation).

Rowan,

Thank you very much!!!!!!

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[*] Imap isn't an issue or a solution.
Is that because the iPad mail app doesn't do imap? I was under the impression imap was created to address just this sort of problem with pop3.

from Wikipedia:
IMAP was designed by Mark Crispin in 1986 as a remote mailbox protocol, in contrast to the widely used POP, a protocol for retrieving the contents of a mailbox.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts