What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing E-Mail Across iDevices

ejbetz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings! How do I "synchronize" my iPad and iPone so that when I delete an email from one it does is both places. I thought at one point it was (?) but I'm getting tired of cleaning up phone, pad, laptop, desktop ..... Help,,,

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, ejbetz, and welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits.

I moved this question of your to it's own thread under the Help section. You had posted in someone else's introduction thread, which interrupted THAT conversation and is against the rules (it's called thread hijacking or being off-topic). For the future, if you have a question, please start one of your own (after a good search to see if it's already been asked before). This will help others to help you.

Now, for your question. Can you please tell us what type of e-mail account(s) you are using, IMAP or POP. Because they act differently on the iPad and we don't want to tell you something incorrect. Thanks.

Marilyn

OP
E

ejbetz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Marilyn and thank you for your swift response. I appreciate your tips on forum etiquette ;-) and hope I'm in the right chat now ...

I am on POP with my email. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to resolving my issue -

Erin

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, sorry, but after all that, there is nothing you can do to sync a POP e-mail account. You can set it up (on the iPad) so that removing an e-mail from the inbox deletes it from the server (eventually), but your iDevices will get all the POP e-mail. So, you have to delete it off of every iDevice. Once it's been delivered to your iDevice, you've got it - deleting it is your only option and that deleting action only removes it from that particular iDevice.

Is there any way you can set that POP account up as an IMAP account? That way you set it up for syncing. I know that some ISPs are way behind the times (my Time Warner account is!) and don't provide IMAP. If you have one like that, I'm afraid there's nothing you can do. Sorry.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, not entirely nothing.

I've never done it, but it is possible to set a GMail account up to automatically access and download email from a POP account. You can then set up the GMail account on all your stuff and keep them in sync that way.

I'm not sure how to handle sending the emails, if you still need them to be from the POP account; but I'm pretty sure there is a way.

Anyone here done this, and made it work for them?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This: Get mail from other accounts - Gmail Help

And maybe this: Sending mail from a different address - Gmail Help

A lot of trouble to go though. If you aren't stuck with that POP account as your primary account (for whatever reason) it might be a good day to just get a more capable email provider (like Google).

Good point, twerp poet, you can forward from Google. Forgot about that. My bad. I had tried this about two years ago and didn't remember...

With my POP account, I could even set it up so that a forwarded e-mail to Google got deleted from the (POP) server when forwarded. I don't remember if the trash bin ever got emptied, though. My concern was that, somehow, I'd miss an e-mail - the POP e-mail was/is my default for business on the Web.

I may have been a Nervous Nellie, but I went back to getting my POP e-mail delivered directly and signed up for Google. 'Sides, I couldn't use the POP account out of the house any way...

Essentially, POP e-mail is a pain and I wish Time Warner would upgrade to IMAP!

ejbetz - hope some of this was helpful... :)

Marilyn

OP
E

ejbetz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for all the good advice! Will fiddle with it some and see what works for me ... otherwise, happy "deleting"

Most reactions

Latest posts