What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspicious audio alert

Kuhlade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today I received an audio notification alert on my iPad2 saying my computer was at risk and to immediately go to www.sstpm.com and activate protection. The alert just kept repeating so I did go to the site and saw this:

spco.jpg

Then I closed out and went on my desktop to the same site address, again saw the above image. Closed out, did a fruitless web search and then tried to go back to the site but was taken to FileHippo.com. The sstpm site was no longer there. Now I don't mean to waste your time but this is so curious. I realize we do not need virus protection for the iPad but this seems to be a hack of some sort. Has anyone else experienced this?

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
It looks to me like a scam, I get them on windows all the time. They take you to a fake screenshot, everyone see's the same picture, then it guides you to an overpriced virus removal program. You did the right thing closing it down before spending hard earned wonga.

Chris.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lovely scam. I don't remember the specifics of how they do it, but they essentially use a hidden audio element to send the alert.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
was probably just a website you visited.

Would not worry about it on the iPad.

If you ever suspect a website for a virus or scam, #1 don't visit it, #2 if you do visit it do it from the iPad and not your PC. Your PC is more likely to be taken over just by visiting a website (i see your running windows) while the iPad is pretty much safe at this point.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Popularly known as scareware, it will install malware on your computer if you allow it to and then attempt to get you to buy a full version that does nothing but continue the nightmare. It would not do so on the iPad, but could have on the PC if you clicked the wrong thing.

This kind of thing sometimes gets attached to advertising on less than careful sites; so that it only appears when that ad is present. It's also possible the site owner caught it and eradicated it while you were browsing, or any number of innocent to sleazy explanations.

While the iPad is safe enough, I'd probably do a precautionary malware scan on the computer you used; just to be safe.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have to agree. It is a mean way to advertise their product whatever that product may be.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

Most reactions

Latest posts