What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Supporting drag and drop browser apps

SteveOMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I am looking for some advice. I have a browser application which incorporates "drag and drop" functionality in the website using java GWT. When I run it on an ipad the broswer window is moved around the screen rather than the "drag and drop" components on the page. Does anyone know of a browser where you can 'lock' the browser window or of some other way around this? Any help would be much appreciated. I would like at least a short term solution rather than having to rewrite as a native app. Steve.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad does not support Java, unfortunately, so there is no drag and drop functionality available.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Flash capable browses like iSwifter, Skyfire, and Puffin might work. They use a server to run a remote browser (more or less). Opera Mini which does something similar might also work. While some people have claimed the Flash browsers work well enough for them, I don't think anyone has been esthetic with their performance.

Opera Mini as a browser gets decent reviews, but it's record of working with this kind of site is erratic (from what little I've heard).

The other option is to use an app to control a remote desktop session. Splashtop is cheap and works quite well.

As Tim said, the iPad's OS does not have a Java interpreter, so nothing running directly on the iPad will work.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts