Stupid Question? Is screen burn in a concern?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Snagtooth, May 5, 2010.

1. Loud

Loud
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    One more... It's a bit hard to see in the video...

2. Loud

Loud
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Okay, it won't let me embed it, but here's a link: Video

So this is an iPad 1, had safari open for about 2 hours, but it doesn't always need that long for it to show up. It does seem to go away after leaving the screen off for a while. I cranked up the brightness only to help the video. I usually have the brightness down at about 25% though, and I can still see it clearly. I put the card on the corner of the url bar as an indicator of where to look when I hit the home button (only have two hands).

(And sorry for the pop near the beginning. There's otherwise no sound so you can just turn your speakers down)

Edit: Apparently the video doesn't come up with the URL it gives me in Firefox on my Mac (but it does on my iPhone and iPad). If you don't see any video, click on 'My Gallery' in the upper left and it's the first video on the left.

#22 Loud, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  3. leelai

leelai
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I saw it best on the screen image, especially when you ran your finger under it. It looks like it's embossed. Not good.

4. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    The only real issue with modern LCD screens is image retention which can happen when the pixels get stuck in a certain state. This is very rare though and I have never seen it on an IOS device.
    I have used both my iPad 1 & 2 as a poker timer for hours on end with autolock disabled and a more or less static image and never experienced any issues at all.

5. mikeos

mikeos
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I use my iPad as bedside clock, so there is a led style clock on the screen in the same place for about 8-9 hours at a time and I've never experienced any type of screen burn.

6. Loud

Loud
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Great that it isn't happening to you. Did you watch my video?

7. MrMos3s

MrMos3s
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hmmmm...

I'm slighty concerned now as well.

I just had my mail app open for about a minute and a half, returned to the springboard and already have a slight burn-in image of my mail app.

This can't be good, right?

I could try and take a picture with my iPod Touch 4g but I'm not sure that it would show up very well.

I have the iPad 2, bought the day it came out.

#27 MrMos3s, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  8. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    You're not sure it would so up very well? Why didn't you just try? It seems easy to make a claim and then not even try to get evidence. I, am I'm sure others, do the exact same things you claim you did and we never see "slight burn-in image" on the screen.

9. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    There is Image Retention and then there is Burn in. One is permanent, one is not. Many friends/relatives of mine that bought plasma TVs would call me freeking out because the ESPN logo was showing after they shut the TV off. I told them to wait about 5 minutes and check again . They never called back. ;)

If there is true burn in on an LED based screen then that would be very rare IMO and worth asking Apple about. Shouldnt happen. Otherwise, I would expect to see occassional image retention on any modern screen.

10. GT500Girl

GT500Girl
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Did anyone that is having this problem change their background image? I woke up this morning and noticed it looked like my clock and slide to open was burned into the screen. I had changed my wallpaper yesterday to a picture that we had taken. Well I just went and changed it back to something else and it fixed the issue. Then I checked that picture under photos and for some reason now it looks like it's permanently burned into that particular photo. Strange to say the least.