Stupid Question? Is screen burn in a concern?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Snagtooth, May 5, 2010.

1. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I would like to see a picture of this....

2. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    picture proof, please.

3. MGLeet

MGLeet
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I can try to verify his/her claim. My iPad is a little more than a year old, and I've had screen burn issues with Safari for the past couple of months. The only thing that's burned once you leave the Safari app is the address bar, with the most dominating thing being the Bing (or Google if you use that) search part of the bar. All it takes is a few minutes browsing in Safari, and it's vaguely there for 15ish seconds after leaving Safari. Picture proof is near impossible, it's ridiculous to request that because screen burn doesn't show up in screenshots and good luck trying to legitimately capture it with a camera.

It should be noted that this is not a massive issue, it's only a problem with Safari, and it's not like the screen burn sticks around for days. But it is there, at least for me. I came across this thread by searching for "iPad burn" in Bing to see if anyone else is having this issue, and I'm not of your "pics or it didn't happen" attitude. There's a sense of obligation to say that. It's bad Internet etiquette. :-/

4. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    =====================

How do you know it can't be captured with a camera? If you can see it, you can likely get a photo with a camera. It a copout to not even try but claim it is ridiculous to ask for a photo.

5. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I disagree. Because it is the internet pictures are often requested.

6. Shizzire

Shizzire
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I can show pics, but not sure the value. I noticed what I thought was "burn in" which led me to this forum. I usually run at the lowest brightness. I noticed an imprint of the google/address bar from Safari, when using the native Twitter app. But then worried about burn in, I "unlocked" screen rotation, gave it a 180, then relocked. Without even strating Safari, i opened twitter. The google/address bar was still there, *but in the new orientation*. So I don't think this is "burn in" (the bottom left of the screen didn't show the google/address bar anymore).

My page orientation has been locked for months, so there was no way this was a permanent issue. So I switched to YouTube (which has a similar colour scheme but different search field size. Sat on that for a couple minutes, then switched to twitter. Again I saw the Safari version of the imprint.

So I'd chalk this up to something wrong with the video driver (but... What, I have no idea????). I have a pic where you can *barely* see the imprint if you are still interested...

Cheers...

7. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    What are you talking about?

8. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    If you can document screen burn in of am image, it is of great value to other users who may wish to avoid the same thing. Please post your pics and try to get better ones if possible.

9. Loud

Loud
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I just found this thread and shot video of the phenomenon with my iPhone. However, because I'm new, I can't link to it or embed the video from my MobileMe.

10. Loud

Loud
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I don't mean to spam the thread but if I have three posts I can embed it...