What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 screen warm-up time?

BlueLux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding my iPad 3. This is my second one, after returning the first one because of screen issue with "yellowishness". This one is "perfect" in every regards, except that it needs time to warm up the display for about 15-20 minutes before the color/gamma settle down. Once settled, though, the display is just perfect.

When fired up from a cold start (like being off over night), the gamma seems to be too high, making everything looks a bit washed out. Also, in this period, static images tend to burn-in, as I can see persistent shadows on a dark background. This also disappears once the screen gets warmed up.

I'm just wondering if this is normal. I haven't experienced this before on my iPad 1 & 2, though I've seen this before on other high-end LCD monitors and TVs. I'm kinda reluctant to return it, since the problem might not be easily reproduceable in a testing lab at Apple, and it IS perfect otherwise...

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BlueLux said:
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding my iPad 3. This is my second one, after returning the first one because of screen issue with "yellowishness". This one is "perfect" in every regards, except that it needs time to warm up the display for about 15-20 minutes before the color/gamma settle down. Once settled, though, the display is just perfect.

When fired up from a cold start (like being off over night), the gamma seems to be too high, making everything looks a bit washed out. Also, in this period, static images tend to burn-in, as I can see persistent shadows on a dark background. This also disappears once the screen gets warmed up.

I'm just wondering if this is normal. I haven't experienced this before on my iPad 1 & 2, though I've seen this before on other high-end LCD monitors and TVs. I'm kinda reluctant to return it, since the problem might not be easily reproduceable in a testing lab at Apple, and it IS perfect otherwise...

I personally do not think the retina display requires a warm up phase.

Could it be your eyes need warming up before viewing the world renown retina display? *wink*

I agree, Apple would likely not be very receptive to your complaint but I'm wrong quite regularly so give it a shot if it is that bothersome and let us know how it works out.

OP
B

BlueLux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My New iPad "warms" almost instantaneously as did my iPad and iPad2.

The first one I got didn't seem to need a warm-up time either. I think that maybe this display is from a different manufacturer, Sharp or LG perhaps, and the first one is from Samsung maybe? Maybe that's why it has different charateristic...

OP
B

BlueLux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally do not think the retina display requires a warm up phase.

Could it be your eyes need warming up before viewing the world renown retina display? *wink*

That's what I thought at first, but after some "testing", there's definitely a difference. Not just the colors, as I mentioned, "ghosting" also occurs. After warming up, persistent shadows go away, and no more "ghosting" occurs.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's you brightness set to?
How cold does it get at night where you store your iPad?
What app are you seeing this in?

... Relevant questions. I've never heard of anything like this with an iPad.

OP
B

BlueLux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brightness about 60-70% with auto-adjusting on.
Cold... well, I live in Norway, but it's room-temp at my place all the time.
What app I'm seeing this in... it's generall, not app-dependent. I turn on, and it's visible at once, all the colors look a bit faded, as if the gamma is too high. If I leave the iPad on for a few minutes to let it warm-up, afterwards I get this burn-in/ghosting from my home screen icons. Clearly visibile on a dark background. The ghosting goes away after a while. If the screen is warm, there's no ghosting even if I leave the home screen on for a long time.

kralle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Off Topic"

How you know how much % is the brightness Set ? I can Not see a % sign :p

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Off Topic"

How you know how much % is the brightness Set ? I can Not see a % sign :p

I don't know if there is a way to view the exact percentage but I always just use an approximation of the percentage. There are times I turn mine up a little but I'd say it is normally right around 50 percent. Whether that is actually 48 or 52 percent I couldn't tell you.

I have also never witnessed a warm-up phase on any of my iPads.

OP
B

BlueLux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an update about the situation. Even though I was reluctant, I decided to call Apple on Wednesday. The lady I spoke with was surprisingly understanding and suggested that I got a replacement at once. Not a refurbished one, but a completely new one. To my surprise, I got it today already. Even with the original printing on the back! Now that is good service, not to mention extremely fast!

The new one is OK, no more color issues and "burn-in/ghosting". Just a very slight light bleed in one of the corners, but so minor it's not even an issue. I'm now a happy iPad owner again :)

BMWrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BlueLux said:
Just an update about the situation. Even though I was reluctant, I decided to call Apple on Wednesday. The lady I spoke with was surprisingly understanding and suggested that I got a replacement at once. Not a refurbished one, but a completely new one. To my surprise, I got it today already. Even with the original printing on the back! Now that is good service, not to mention extremely fast!

The new one is OK, no more color issues and "burn-in/ghosting". Just a very slight light bleed in one of the corners, but so minor it's not even an issue. I'm now a happy iPad owner again :)

If the light bleed is caused by adhesive curing, it should go away with time. This was a problem with some early iPad 2's.

Most reactions

Latest posts