What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stumped and Confused!

DontAskMe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to this forum, and have been shopping and doing my homework. I'm more confused than ever now! LOL.

I have decided I NEED an iPad. I have an iPhone 4S, my desktop at home is a Mac, and my work laptop is a MacBook Pro. An iPad is the obvious choice, but which one? I've narrowed it down to the mini iPad or the newer iPad with Retina display, though I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price. In any case, I seem to neeeeeeddd one. This item will be for personal use. I will download my music, surf the net, communicate via email and Skype with family and friends, play some games, though typically not shoot 'em up games, more like solitaire, Dice with Buddies, etc. I am a special ed teacher, so I could use it for data collection, etc. I'd like to keep my recipes on the iPad so that they are with me at all times. I do not travel a lot, but would take it with me when I go somewhere, and when I do go, I tend to go for weeks at a time, so I may want to download and watch movies, stream some tv programs, etc.

I am 48 years old, so the eyes are not going to get any younger. I keep teetering between the two I've narrowed it down to. Looking at the two side by side in the store just confused me more, as they are both very nice. Any suggestions based on what I have stated regarding use?

As far as GB goes, which would you recommend? I'm thinking 32 GB. I know I don't need 64, but would 16 be too little? My thoughts behind 32GB, is that I will love it, and once apps are downloaded and I get to using it every day, I will wish I had more space, if I had the 16.

I have read through many of the postings on this forum. Any suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. I know the decision is ultimately mine, but I feel like I need some help here! Many thanks!
:)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you can afford it, go for the greater storage capacity. You can't have too much storage, but you can have too little. As to the choice, there are rumours that the iPad mini will be getting a retina display when the next model is released later this year.
The larger display is certainly better if you have trouble viewing the small details on a smaller screen. Your choice comes down to convenience and price, buy the iPad that's most convenient for you at the price you can afford.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you are heading in the right direction with 32Gb of storage. There is further consideration, though, whether you buy the full size or the mini, and that is 3/4G or wifi only. Even if you never use the cellular capabilities, you get GPS with the cellular models, and I for one would take the GPS capability over the extra storage.

To me, this is a more important consideration than storage. Storage is simple. The correct answer is always "The biggest you can afford." I think 16Gb has had it's day, and 32 is the minimum now, but that's just an opinion.

Most reactions