What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange Email Connection Issue

MisterFish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has been having a problem with mail collection on her iPad. I know something about computers and networking but nothing about iPads or 3g (I don’t even own a mobile phone – no really!).

On Wi-Fi at home she can collect her mail from her mail server using the iPad’s onboard mail client. When she moves over to 3g she can’t.

She can however connect to the webmail facility attached to her mail server via the iPad browser while in 3g.

We know therefore:

We are connected to the internet via 3g because we can reach the servers webmail page (and log on to facebook etc)
We are not IP blocked by the mail server on 3g because we can access the webmail facility normally.
We have the correct configuration on the email client because we can access the server directly on Wi-Fi.

Any ideas of what the problem could be gratefully received.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife has been having a problem with mail collection on her iPad. I know something about computers and networking but nothing about iPads or 3g (I don’t even own a mobile phone – no really!).

On Wi-Fi at home she can collect her mail from her mail server using the iPadÂ’s onboard mail client. When she moves over to 3g she canÂ’t.

She can however connect to the webmail facility attached to her mail server via the iPad browser while in 3g.

We know therefore:

We are connected to the internet via 3g because we can reach the servers webmail page (and log on to facebook etc)
We are not IP blocked by the mail server on 3g because we can access the webmail facility normally.
We have the correct configuration on the email client because we can access the server directly on Wi-Fi.

Any ideas of what the problem could be gratefully received.

Hi, welcome to iPF!

You have already made sure you have access to the internet with 3G. Here are some things you also could try:

Restart your iPad: turn it off, turn it on again.
Reset it: press Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears.
There could be a problem with your wireless service. You should contact the carrier.
If my previous suggestions don't solve the problem: restore your iPad: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

OP
M

MisterFish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I solved the problem by uninstalling then reinstalling the email accont on the ipad (withe exactly the same settings). It all works fine now.

Thanks for the help JA.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I solved the problem by uninstalling then reinstalling the email accont on the ipad (withe exactly the same settings). It all works fine now.

Thanks for the help JA.

Glad you found the solution.
I could have thought of that myself. It's often a possibility to get rid of email problems.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts