What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stock calendar app color questions

kimmysue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand that each email account associated with your iPad calendar has a color assigned to it. Somehow I wound up with dingy gray and puke peach as the colors assigned to my 2 gmail accounts. How do I change this?

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hopefully twerppoet will see this as he dealt with a similar - identical, if I recall correctly - problem from a poster a while ago, but I cannot locate the thread. If I recall you can change this by sync'ing with a Mac's iCal program and (my memory is creaking at the seams now) using Google Calendar somehow.

I definitely recall, though, that there's no way of directly doing this in the iPad's native calendar app.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are set up with a regular GMail account you can change the calendar color from the website, and it will change on the iPad. Not always immediately, but eventually. You can speed it up by making sure you close the Calendar app in the multitask bar, then open it again. If that does not work try turning the calendar off, then on again on the iPad in the account's settings. One of those two worked when I tested.

I normally have my Google account set up as an exchange account, so that I can have multiple calendars from the same account. Changing the color on the Google Calendar site does not seem to affect how they appear on the iPad. I tried several things to force it but had no luck picking my own colors.

I did manage to change the colors though. I went into Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars, chose my account and turned off the calendars. Then I accepted that all my Calendar entries for that account would be deleted from the iPad. Then I turned the calendars back on.

When I went back to the Calendar app it reloaded my Google Calendars. They both came up gray, but when I opened the calendar list they had new colors assigned to them, not the same colors I set up on the web site unfortunately. Hiding and unhiding them changed the colors of the events from gray to these colors.

I did this a couple times, and the colors were not always the same. So the iPad is picking the new colors semi-randomly. If you are patient you might get colors you like this way.

Best I can do for you.

OP
K

kimmysue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet. I will try that. I really appreciate the help.

YAY! That worked beautifully. Seems small, perhaps, but not to me.

Have a great day!

Last edited:

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I tried doing this and was so happy when I saw the beautiful purple color come up for my calendar instead of the ugly gray but literally as I was looking at it, the beautiful purple turned to ugly brown! Now I can't seem to change it to anything else!

Ok just went through this again and got back my purple, but it does seem totally random!

Last edited:

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NYHorsewoman said:
So I tried doing this and was so happy when I saw the beautiful purple color come up for my calendar instead of the ugly gray but literally as I was looking at it, the beautiful purple turned to ugly brown! Now I can't seem to change it to anything else!

Ok, went through this process again and got back my purple but it really does seem very random!

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One alternative is the "Week Calendar HD" app ($2.99). It has a very similar interface to the standard app, but you can customise skin colors, font sizes, different colors for different event types, etc., etc. It doesn't show the date full-size in the icon like the standard app, but instead it has a red "badge" showing the date in the top RH corner of the icon.

I use it and much prefer it - I agree 100% about the native app's nasty "puke peach" color, LOL!

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For the record, my calendar was working beautifully and then just now while i was looking at it, it must have even syncing and my beautiful purple all turned to yucky brown right before my eyes! Why does it do that?!?!?

Most reactions

Latest posts