What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sticky suggestion - development engines for iPad

Gracewing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have developed a basic app in HTML5. After uploading to my website, I was able to run it in Safari on my ipad and now it is a stand alone app that no longer requires and internet connection. It uses local storage to store data on the ipad itself. This is only about 20 data items in this case.

I actually developed this on my PC under windows using an html editor but could have done it in a plain text editor. I tested it using firefox.

I do have a macbook with OS X lion and xcode for ios 5 installed. I have written a few basic apps in xcode from teaching guides, but nothing serious. I can run them on the simulator but without paying the $99 to register as a developer, I can not actually run them on my iPad or iPhone.

I am Delphi developer so coding is not the issue with me but determing which options have the easy learning curves, power and flexibility as well as whether to target ios only or cross platform. I expect it is a compromise in the end.

Having said that my little golf handicap app I developed in HTML5 took me much longer than it would have to do in Delphi. (Actually this was a very cut down version of an existing deplhi app) This was partly because i was learning a new environment and partly because error detection is not as good. You can get a debigger window to identify errors but there are no watch windows, breakpoints etc, so i needed to track this using alerts. It was a bit tedious.

On the left is a screen image from Firefox. on the right the same app running offline and full screen on an ipad.

filled.pngaghast on ipad.jpg

Gracewing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I've used Delphi XE2 (FireMonkey) to develop my first game (Colours Fill It!) for iPad.

I didn't know you could use Delphi for iPad development. Since I am a Delphi developer professionally, I can leverage that knowledge rather than start again with xcode or html5.

Do you have any further info?

vesao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unity3D for iPhone/iPad
Unity is a solid cross platform engine and they boast a large number of published apps in the app store. It's a full environment that includes a 3D editor and integrated scripting system. It's not for the casual user but it's a thousand times easier than working in Xcode for non-objective C types. If you are familiar with 3D programs such as Maya or 3D Studio Max then it will be a breeze to learn. The PC version is free but the iPhone/iPad version is $400.

I use Unity to develop games for iPad/iPhone. Latest 4.3 version contains tools for 2D game creation. They changed pricing also. Now basic version for iOS is free.

vesao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unreal Engine is AAA-grade engine for iPad/iPhone. Epic changed its licencing model recently so that indie developers can afford it also. It costs $19/month + 5% royalties.

vesao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cocos2D

Cocos2D-x is a good open source game engine for 2D-games. It support cross-platform development (iOS, Android, Windows Phone). Supported programming languages are C++, LUA and Javascript. Cocos2d-iphone supports Objective-C.

Most reactions

Latest posts