What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stay with 2017 iPad Pro or buy new 2020 Air?

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe should wait till the new air is tested and the reviewers can post benchmark results, but im thinking about the new air. Besides the home button and audio jack the one thing I would miss is the camera flash. My 10.5 “ pro has the Pro-Motion, but the other day looked to see if it was activated and it wasnt. So that would not be a big deal since the Air does not have that. The only other feature is display brightness. I do use the ipad outside, so I dont how much i will notice the 500 nits with the Air. I would love a new iPad Pro but not with it being over $1K (need the cellular version and then tax included).

thoughts - should I get the air? Performance wise it would be an upgrade, yes?

Any idea if the 2021 iPad Pro 11” would come out with 64 GB version? If so, would think the price would be lower then $949. I dont need 128GB, certainly now that these devices now have usbC and allow for attaching external usb storage devices. Plus I would certainly get the hyperdrive 6 in 1 hub.

Appreciate any feedback.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad Air reviews are out. The MacStories and Six Colors reviews are good.

In general, if you are not an artist who wants the best Pencil responsiveness of Pro Motion, you probably won’t miss not having a new iPad Pro model. On the other hand you’re only saving $150 to $200 dollars on a new base iPad Air vs the current 11” iPad Pro. The smaller saving is if you match the storage. The iPad Air base model has less storage than the base 11” iPad Pro.

Of course, the next generation of iPad Pro’s will likely be significantly faster than the iPad Air. If the past is any guide, expect them to come out sometime in the late Spring.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. With exterior storage, the ipad pros 128 GB is way to much for me.
I take odds of Apple offering a Pro with 64 is highly doubtful?
So becomes 2 features that could I live without if getting the Air: 100 less nits and no camera flash.

I take it the Air is much faster then the 2017 Pro.

with newer antennas, wonder how much faster and performance in the Air’s wifi and cellular service I will see.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Air is faster than the 11” iPad Pro single thread, and slightly slower for multi-thread. So, yes, probably faster all around than the 2017 iPad Pro.

Most reactions

Latest posts