What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stacking routers

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Folks I have a question;
I recently upgraded my home router to a net gear N, nothing was wrong with the old linksys it was just time to upgrade. Can I use two routers in my home? I'd like to move the old router to another room where I have a new flatscreen tv with Internet capability, I dont have a hardwired ethernet run to that room.
In a nutshell, I want to use the second router for wireless connectivity for my new tv

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you want to link, by WiFi, the new Netgear N to the old Linksys and then from that Linksys to your TV and be able to access the Internet from your TV via the Linksys-Netgear 'link'?

Tim

OP
blucente

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
So you want to link, by WiFi, the new Netgear N to the old Linksys and then from that Linksys to your TV and be able to access the Internet from your TV via the Linksys-Netgear 'link'?

Tim

Exactly

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
blucente said:
Folks I have a question;
I recently upgraded my home router to a net gear N, nothing was wrong with the old linksys it was just time to upgrade. Can I use two routers in my home? I'd like to move the old router to another room where I have a new flatscreen tv with Internet capability, I dont have a hardwired ethernet run to that room.
In a nutshell, I want to use the second router for wireless connectivity for my new tv

Thanks

Typically you would need the old router wired to your new - making the old basically an extended wireless access point. But, without an Ethernet run to that room it's not much good to you. They do make devices that utilize the wiring in your home, through the plugins, to facilitate getting Ethernet where you need it. That might be an option for ya. Then you could plug directly into the TV.

To use your old router in that room you would also need another phone/DSL modem or cable modem. And then I would doubt you could log on to your service provider with both... But I have no confirmation on that - never tried it etc.

Can you get to any attic space between new router and this room?

I don't think a wireless connection between old and new will work unless your ould router was specifically designed for that type of an access point / wireless extender.
Cheers

OP
blucente

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmm, thanks for the input.

It would be a huge undertaking to get a wired cable to the TV. The location of the tv is on the second floor in the bedroom and my new router is on the main floor (1st floor). I know I can purchase a wireless flash device for the tv but they want 80 to 100 bucks for it.

I do have an option, I think. I planned on moving my xbox to that room also, it has wireless. Would this work and give my tv wireless access through the xbox. And yes, I have the xbox with wireless built in.

bearswatchin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
repeater

I use a WRT54G as a repeater after reflashing it with dd-wrt. Works with the G protocol but not with N since the WRT54 is G only. Extended my wifi so that I have full access all over my house and in my outbuildings. Security is good with dd-wrt, also, since it uses any of the common security protocols.

Googleing dd-wrt will give you all the info you may need to set this up. For the repeater setup, google dd-wrt repeater.

Hope this helps.
bw

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buy a wireless printer router as a receiver for you wireless router and hook the printer router to your tv. I use this same set up for my xbox 360, paid $15 for the wireless printer router and use it as my wireless receiver for the xbox360 and it works like a champ. Just an idea for ya.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
blucente

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's a great idea, where were you two days ago, I just finished running a wire to my TV! Oh well, at least I learned a new trick to pass on.

Thanks for the reply.

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're most welcome. Was hoping you hadn't run wire yet. Bummer man, but yeah it's a neat little trick you can use in the future.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
blucente

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Thanks, Blu for posting your thread in the correct section!

Much appreciated.;)

Yeah, alway try to follow the rules. Btw, I like your new avatar

Most reactions

Latest posts