What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Router

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The time has come for me to replace my old 4 port router with something better, and with 8 ports + at least one USB connector. I have looks around at Draytek, Netgear, Linksys etc. But would value your input on which you consider to be best. Should have mentioned, must be ADSL+ modem built in as well.

Look forward to your opinions! :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JRC said:
Can't find your ref to sd cards, I bought an cf convertor from Maplins that takes an sd card, works well in camera and loads into iPad

I think you've posted this in the wrong thread :) I'm sure one of the Mods will move it for you. This thread is about advice on a new router! :)

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vintage90 said:
The time has come for me to replace my old 4 port router with something better, and with 8 ports + at least one USB connector. I have looks around at Draytek, Netgear, Linksys etc. But would value your input on which you consider to be best. Should have mentioned, must be ADSL+ modem built in as well.

Look forward to your opinions! :)

Nobody have any preferences?

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess I'm on my own on this one, time to order one though, think I'm going for the Draytek...surprised no one else has changed / upgraded, or have I been sent to Coventry? :)

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have now ordered the Draytek Vigor with USB / Nas capability. Problem solved ( as long as it arrives in one piece!) :)

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, just only now so your post. Which model did you get? Could not find a Draytek with 8 ports and ASDL+.

Do share your experiences. Would be interested to see.

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JJK said:
Sorry, just only now so your post. Which model did you get? Could not find a Draytek with 8 ports and ASDL+.

Do share your experiences. Would be interested to see.

No, because they don't make them.....If needed I will have to add a hub later, but the Draytek I have bought has multifunction USB connections, I can connect my HDD caddy to the network and access it from my iPad, or DTS system.

Until I get my Mac Mini, this will be a good NAS workaround. I was getting tired of getting up in the wee small hours, booting the PC then fumbling around in the cabinet for the right hdd I wanted to access. I will still have to fumble for the drives, but at least I won't have to wait for WineDoze to boot. :)

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will post back on Monday when it arrives. The other advantage I forgot to mention is that my present Modem / Router will not allow me to set imap for my email. Even though the folders are created on my ISPs servers, the router is dumb! Heck, it was free:) the Draytek will allow me to alter these settings so that I can see all my folders on my iPad.

The Draytek gets a five star rating, so it should be good.......have used their pro kit before and always been happy with it. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts