What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spinning

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it has hung for some reason. You can soft reset by pressing home and power for about 10 seconds. The iPad will reboot and you should then be able to turn off OK. Let us know how you get on...

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This almost always takes more than 10 seconds. 20-30 is typical, and I've heard people say it took up to 60 seconds. The key is to wait for the Apple logo to appear. Once it does let the buttons go and wait for it to finish rebooting. This takes longer than the usual restart.

Be sure the iPad has enough charge. If in doubt plug it into it's charger for an hour or so. Be sure to use the charger that came with it, as chargers for smaller devices and the computer supply less current, and may not significantly charge the iPad in only an hour.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its a hardware interrupt and must always be at exactly the same point on every device every time. I'm a bit of an anorak about this kind of stuff.

7 seconds is the reset interrupt , 10 seconds is DFU interrupt. It's what helps us hackers apply our jailbreaks consistently.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Susan! Hope you got it reset!

Off to have some fun with a stopwatch now :D

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Durn picky hacker types. ;)

Ok, that got me wondering. I did break out a stopwatch, and while my timing isn't precise (not enough hands) it is close enough.

You are right, 7 seconds is what it takes, at least the couple times I tried it. But at 7 seconds it only blanks the screen, you can let go and it works, but the Apple logo can take an additional 7 seconds to appear. And that is probably the source of confusion.

I also tried it with the iPad turned off. The logo appears early, but I'm guessing that is the normal startup. If you wait the full 7 seconds the screen blanks and it starts again, probably with the full reset.

Of course, if the iPad is totally messed up, maybe it does take longer. Hard to tell without a way of inserting various problems, and I don't know if any problems exist that could slow down the interrupts without bricking the entire iPad.

Had to look up anorak. My dictionary only mentions the jacket, but I think I get gist of the expression. :D

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol. Sorry Anorak = sad geek in the UK. Usually a train spotter. Hence, they stand out in the rain at stations with anoraks on...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts