What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speach to text

A5viper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are they ever going to make a Speach to text app? I've seen a few speach to email apps but know speach to text apps.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dragon Dictation allows you to send speech into an e- mail, note, or text message.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - Dragon Dictation is the 'standard' speech-to-text app and it's free. It uses the iPad's microphone but needs an Internet connection. I think that some of the processing is done away from the iPad. It does a reasonable job, but you do need to edit the file afterwards. It gets better with time, learning about your voice, so you need a little patience with it in the early days.

Like all speech-to-text programs, it can't cope with 'unusual' words, so it's not helpful if you're trying to dictate a scientific paper that contains a lot of technical terminology.

Tim
Scotland

Nz2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is Dragon Dictate still available? I got an error message when trying to download it today.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure which country you're in but it's still available in the UK App Store. Sometimes apps are temporarily removed when they're being updated, so might be available a little later.

Tim

Nz2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe it's a regional thing. I'm in New Zealand and I'm getting a no results message when I search the app store.

justme26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nz2011 said:
Maybe it's a regional thing. I'm in New Zealand and I'm getting a no results message when I search the app store.

How do u use dragon for text on the iPad? I don't see where to do it... Just emails

iPhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in South Africa and am getting sick of a large number of apps being unavailable in our country. Do Apple think we have leprosy or what? Why not Google Earth and Dragon Dictate as examples?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that from a fellow South African. My brother lives in Margate. I suppose you would have to petition them or get fellow Apple lovers to complain. I live in UK so we get most apps. I can't get Dragon Go app though which is where Siri came from I believe. It's on the USA iTunes site.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in South Africa and am getting sick of a large number of apps being unavailable in our country. Do Apple think we have leprosy or what? Why not Google Earth and Dragon Dictate as examples?
Your situation is unfortunate but Apple is not the enemy. It has to do with legalities, specifically licensing rights in SA. This isn't limited to apps from Apple, but a wide variety of media including movies, books, etc. There's no doubt that Apple and app developers around the world would like nothing better than to sell all of their apps in your country (why wouldn't they?). However until those issues are addressed everyone's hands are basically tied.

That said, IIRC a work-around is to create a U.S. iTunes account without a credit card. This thread talks about doing that...

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps/35584-buying-apps-not-availble-my-region.html

Best of luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts