Sony ebook tranfers to Ipad help

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by tototommy0, Dec 15, 2010.

1. tototommy0

tototommy0 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was just given an Ipad. I also have the sony reader, which I love. I would like to transfer the books to the Ipad. Is this possible or not. Google says it is but I have had no luck as of yet. Please help.

2. USBill

USBill iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Here's a good overview of the issues, linked to the section on utilities to convert files (if needed).
    Sony Reader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Sony readers support multiple formats. Are your books native files from the Sony store or a mixture of types?

You can probably find a reader that will handle the files without conversion. I think Stanza supports the Sony format. Can anyone confirm from personal experience?

3. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    If you purchased books for your Sony reader, they are in ePub format, but wrapped with DRM (Digital Rights Management). In order to read those books on any other reader, you would have to "unwrap" the DRM from the file leaving you with an unprotected ePub file that the iBooks app can read.

There is software that will allow you to do this (don't ask me how I know!). You can search for it on Google (or whatever search engine you prefer), but on this forum, we do not allow the discussion of acquiring software by any other means than that intended by the author, owner, developer or publisher and this includes unwrapping the DRM from copyright protected publications.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010