1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iPad vs. Sony Reader?

Discussion in 'iBooks' started by nightbreed, Feb 5, 2010.

1. nightbreed

nightbreed iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had a Sony reader for a little over a year and I am extremely happy with it. I am very interested in the ibook portion of the ipad. Will it have the epaper format to make it easy on the eyes like the other readers? Will the Sony ebook library files work with it? Any idea on the availability of books with this? I am not as concerned with pricing as I am availability. I am concerned about selling the Sony Reader in favor of the ipad then having trouble getting the books I want and/or not being able to use the books I have already purchased from Sony.
  2. Finnedog

Finnedog iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The iBooks app is the one I have been waiting for! Wish they would come out with more info but I think they are making it up as they go.

BDalton and Walden sp? bookstores are both closing their stores here, I think they see the handwriting on the wall.
  3. iDan

iDan Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93 / 2
    Welcome to the site! I don't believe there is a current app for the iPhone or iPod touch that allows you to read the Sony E-Book library. I would be very interested in your opinion of how the iPad screen compares to the Sony reader screen once you have a chance to check it out.

4. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    There is absolutely no compatibility between the old .lrf Sony books and the epub books the iPad will use.

The Sony Library is a closed system similar to Amazon's Kindle, where you have to register a Sony device. All books are copy protected and only six copies between six registered devices in your account can be made to store them. In a system so heavily controlled it is highly improbable that a non-computer device be allowed access. But I may be wrong.

There is a huge selection of free ebooks available on the web. You can find at least 10,000 public domain ebooks in the Mobile Read Library.
  5. iPadBoy

iPadBoy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was originally planning to get a Sony Reader, but will now get the iPad instead :)

I just hope they hurry with bringing the iBookstore to the UK!
  6. KY_TY

KY_TY iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are two issues here - the file format and DRM applied. The Sony and many others read the epub format and I believe the lrf format has fallen by the wayside. Sony uses the Adobe ADEPT DRM and as I understand it, the iBooks will be encrypted with Apple's Fairplay DRM.

The real issue seems to be the DRM as epub seems to have won the format wars for most excepting the Amazon Kindle. Barnes & Noble uses the epub format and ADOBE ADEPT DRM similiar to the Sony, but each has their own proprietary implementation of the DRM. As such, books purchased from one vendor are not useable on the other's device.

I am not an expert on formats and DRM but this is my understanding. Now Apple will be adding to the mix. While I do not promote or condone digital content priacy, I am really frustrated by all of the formats and the variations caused by the DRM. I have had my fill of problems caused by the DRM following a drive crash or computer upgrade.

Maybe I am simply a grumpy old man dreaming of an easier digital world..
  7. Dorje

Dorje iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    No I agree and I'm not a grumpy old man... well the children I work with think I am. DRM tends to mean an eventual pain in the ass for the legitimate consumer. DRM interferes with a "it just works" model.

I imagine the iBookstore UK will have a different selection then iBookstore US. I recently learned of some interesting differences in UK vs US libel and slander laws which would prevent a good number of books sold in the US from ever being sold directly in the UK.
  8. midersmama1027

midersmama1027 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am interested in getting the Ipad...I am wondering about the size ( dimensions ) and weight of it..and will I be able to play the games on it that I play on facebook...thank you for any information anyone can give me
  9. iPadBoy

iPadBoy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    DRM is stupid. Why cripple an open standard with technology which does nothing to prevent piracy yet is harmful to customer experience?
  10. iPadBoy

iPadBoy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I somehow doubt that... Mind telling me what books these are, and what differences in libel law would prevent their sale in the UK?
  11. amjbrown

amjbrown iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Absolutely right iVan - but any LRF books that the OP purchased from the Sony Store can be re-downloaded as ePubs now. These can be set free from their ADEPT shackles, and then they can be viewed on an existing iPhone app such as Stanza.

Don't suppose the mods want anymore information shared on this here! But that is what Google is for ;)

amjb
  12. Lorri

Lorri iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been reading about the readers. Don't know if I will be able to read in daylight. If not, it is not for me. I can not see a computer in daylight, been there done that.
  13. Lorri

Lorri iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Will we be able to read in daylight? I love to read and have been hedging buying a Kindle, on the chance that I will be able to read outside with the IPad
  14. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Size and weight1
    Height:
    9.56 inches (242.8 mm)
    Width:
    7.47 inches (189.7 mm)
    Depth:
    0.5 inch (13.4 mm)
    Weight:
    1.5 pounds (0.68 kg) Wi-Fi model;
    1.6 pounds (0.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model

Most of the facebook games are already on the iPhone OS (poker, mobwars, etc) some will be available once iPad comes out (farmville for one)

All tech info is on Apple - iPad - See the web, email, and photos like never before.
  15. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Read in daylight?
    What a horrible thought. :p
    I'm a night owl, the iPad will be perfect.:)
  16. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Wife and I got iPad, and sold our Sony readers. We much prefer the reading experience on the iPad. I use iBooks, good reader, Kindle app, and Stanza on the iPad .... All work good.
  17. DanaTheEwok

DanaTheEwok iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had a Sony reader (for three days) and then a B & N Nook, and now the IPAD.

I did not like the Sony and found both types of Sony conviluted to work with. I have had the Nook since Feb. and it is OK, but I much prefer the IPAD to read.

Sony if very proprietary and after buying the books you cannot transfer them to anything else.

I transferred my Nook books to the IPAD and found them to be grainey and not enjoyable to read on the IPAD. I have purchased some Kindle books and some ibooks books and found the print to be much better on the IPAD.

Just my opinion. Bye the way, I am blind in one eye, so being able to enlarge on the IPAD has been wonderful.
  18. DanaTheEwok

DanaTheEwok iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    PS. I am giving my Nook to my daugther as she will travel to Greece and two other countries this summer with the People to People teens.
  19. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I am also somewhat visually impaired, and the iPad is the best reading experience of my life. If I had something like this 30 years ago, I would have done better in college :)
  20. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Oh, and very cool about your daughter!