What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart covers will result into more IPAD 2 sales unfortunately for some.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, so I get my I2 "Smile" now begins the just as frustrating search for the right case; for Me. So I get this wonderful Apple certified Smart Case "More joy" And I'm sitting at the breakfast bar at home, playing with the I2. Now I have the flap folded back under the I2 which gives you a little grip while you read in portrait mode. My wife ask me something, I turn and "Horror,eyes wide open, jaw drop" the magnets release and the IPad takes a three foot tumble "Expletive". Well it fell on the carpet, no harm-no-foul however lesson learned for me.

Don't trust the Smart Cover to hold your IPAD safely or soon you will be buying a new one.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I get my I2 "Smile" now begins the just as frustrating search for the right case; for Me. So I get this wonderful Apple certified Smart Case "More joy" And I'm sitting at the breakfast bar at home, playing with the I2. Now I have the flap folded back under the I2 which gives you a little grip while you read in portrait mode. My wife ask me something, I turn and "Horror,eyes wide open, jaw drop" the magnets release and the IPad takes a three foot tumble "Expletive". Well it fell on the carpet, no harm-no-foul however lesson learned for me.

Don't trust the Smart Cover to hold your IPAD safely or soon you will be buying a new one.

Wow - that was a seriously close thing. Bet you're glad you didn't have a stone floor!! Heart rate through the roof - you need to sit down and take the rest of the day off...

Tim
Scotland

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear your new toy is OK. My previous iPad made several similar tumbles but fortunately these things are pretty tough.

Sounds like you need to bounce that cover back to Apple for an exchange. From reading this forum it seems that Apple's QC on the smart case magnets was pretty weak on the first batch as some people have problems and some don't.

I use mine in that same reading position for several hours a day, for the past 3 weeks. The magnets hold quite well. I would have to make an aggressive tug to get them to release.

If you're sure you had it attached properly then take it back and try a different smart cover before you give up. :)

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
Glad to hear your new toy is OK. My previous iPad made several similar tumbles but fortunately these things are pretty tough.

Sounds like you need to bounce that cover back to Apple for an exchange. From reading this forum it seems that Apple's QC on the smart case magnets was pretty weak on the first batch as some people have problems and some don't.

I use mine in that same reading position for several hours a day, for the past 3 weeks. The magnets hold quite well. I would have to make an aggressive tug to get them to release.

If you're sure you had it attached properly then take it back and try a different smart cover before you give up. :)

It may not be the case. It may be the iPad. I brought mine in because the smart cover wouldn't stay on. Turns out it was a defective iPad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm talking on iPad Forum to a guy in the UK who's securing his iPad2 to his car dash with those magnets....:(

Tim
Scotland

OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
It may not be the case. It may be the iPad. I brought mine in because the smart cover wouldn't stay on. Turns out it was a defective iPad.

I called the Apple folks and they have never heard of this issue. Do you have a service request number related to your problem?

It appears to me that the thin strip which is magnetized (Keep in mind the Hinges are not magnetized). Well the thin strip kinda bows as you pull the cover directly away form the IPAD. In other words I think that over time the thin magnetized bar will give under repeated use and ultimately fail Like this if you can visulize it.
).
I asked Apple Care if they should that they should flag this as a defect. They informed me that they would need many more complaints for this to addressed.

So they told me to take it back.

Last edited:

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried taking my 3 week old smart cover on and off a dozen times. It snaps off with no bowing, and snaps on aggressively with a loud click. If yours is bowing there's something wrong.

You should take both the iPad and the smart cover to an Apple Store so they can see the problem. They aren't going to flag anything as a universal defect based on one defective item.

Good luck! :)

OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just tried taking my 3 week old smart cover on and off a dozen times. It snaps off with no bowing, and snaps on aggressively with a loud click. If yours is bowing there's something wrong.

You should take both the iPad and the smart cover to an Apple Store so they can see the problem. They aren't going to flag anything as a universal defect based on one defective item.

Good luck! :)

Id didn't mean the entire IPAD product line was defective. I'm not nuts, I just commenting that in my case the smart case is bowing.

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hold your iPad correctly and that won't happen. The magnets aren't strong enough to use it as a grip.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I take mine off when reading.

With all those magnets you soon notice the difference if you're holding it for any length of time.

Mskjon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folding it differently will help

If you fold it like the pic on the back of the smart cover package, microfiber out, the magnets hold much more strongly. Notice how the hinges articulate differently depending on which way you fold it. But also note that they don't claim you can use it as a handle anyway.
I had to replace my cover cause of hinge wear but that hasn't come back since I switched to using the poly outside when I fold it to a triangle. Also, the magnets are strong enough to hang mine, open, from the fridge.
Microfiber out is not ideal but ultimately that may be Apple's problem if they all collect dirt and potentially scratch the screen. I live 2 miles from Lake Michigan and sand blows everywhere. I doubt microfiber can absorb sand or repel it enough to keep it off the microfiber side.......scratches.

Most reactions

Latest posts