What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Covers Announced for the iPad 2

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
smart_cover.JPG

During the iPad 2 launch announcement today, Steve Jobs presented the new Smart Covers that Apple has been working on for the iPad 2. They’ve done a good job of keeping most of the details about these under wraps (pardon the pun) until now, although there were some rumours a while back that Apple was working on developing a cover that would automatically put your iPad to sleep when you insert it and wake it up when you remove it. And guess what? That’s pretty much what the Smart Cover does, aside from a few other things besides! The Smart Cover is a flap that covers the front of the iPad 2, and can also be used as a versatile stand for both landscape and portrait mode. It’s held on by magnets, which grasp and auto-align it onto the iPad 2, and it wakes the iPad when you pull it back and puts the iPad to sleep when you close it. According to Jobs, it “adds minimal weight and thickness†and even comes with a micro-fiber lining to clean the screen. They come in polyurethane or leather, with the poly cases costing $39 and the leather ones costing $69, and available in five different colours each.

Source: Live from Apple's iPad 2 event -- Engadget

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrRubE28fH0[/ame]

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't get over how cool this case is! This sets a standard for all other cases love it so much that I am all in on the IPAD2!

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The guys at the Apple Store were trying to convince me to trade my iPad 1 in and used the new cases as a selling point...However, I like my Saddleback Case that will be arriving in a day...Thus, I think I'm going to just get the price difference and add a nice set of Bluetooth speakers...:)

Texcoonazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK I dont get it. Basically it is a cover that puts the unit to sleep and wakes it when you uncover. Blackberry has been offering this for years. So why not put this technology to use on the IPhone. That way I dont have to mute it when I go into a meeting. Little use on my IPad.

And what level of protection will it offer? Very little from the looks of it. So what is its real purpose. To put the Ipad to sleep and waken it? Really? I just dont get it.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK I dont get it. Basically it is a cover that puts the unit to sleep and wakes it when you uncover. Blackberry has been offering this for years. So why not put this technology to use on the IPhone. That way I dont have to mute it when I go into a meeting. Little use on my IPad.

And what level of protection will it offer? Very little from the looks of it. So what is its real purpose. To put the Ipad to sleep and waken it? Really? I just dont get it.

Coming from using the apple case on ipad1 the main pint is to keep the unit light, thin, and protect the screen. The real test is what happens if you drop it:D

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
will you be able to use this with the old ipad?? (without the sleep thing) I love this idea!

if not I'm gonna make it fit! lol

Kevin W

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They do look kinda neat but I'm thinking it could be kinda fiddley and you're right, no protection especially for the back :0(

pastan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, liked the features. But doesnt attract me when it comes to protection. What would you do with a thin and light weighed ipad if its all ruined in the end? Hope theyd focused more on protecting the whole unit than just keeping it thin and light.

The only selling point i see in the cover is the sleep thing. But still not enough. Im good at just pressing the sleep button.

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does this cover attach in the back somehow when you're using it? Or do you need to take it off and put it in your pocket when you're walking around using the iPad?

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I saw in the video clip, it attaches magnetically. There is an attaching magnet along the hinge, and a smaller one inside the edge of the flap to turn the display on and off.

Most reactions

Latest posts