What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow wifi tethering speed from Galaxy S3 to iPad 4 Wifi

Splashy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gali-nir.com
I have an iPad 4 the wifi version and a Galaxy S3.
I'm using the S3 for wifi tethering for the ipad and I'm experiencing very slow speeds and connection drops.
I don't think it's a problem with my carrier because I did a speedtest on the Galaxy and the speeds were great, however the speeds on the ipad when tethered to the Galaxy were very slow but on my wifi home connection everything works great and the speeds are much better on the iPad.
I was told in another forum that it might be a problem or incompatibility with the combination of the Galaxy with the iPad.
Would the iPad work better with a portable hotspot device such as webbing spot or connect one for example (These are available in my country)?
I would like to know what you think, if I could get significantly better speeds with the portable hotspot than what I get with the Galaxy.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Mojosodope

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splashy said:
I'm using the S3 for wifi tethering for the ipad and I'm experiencing very slow speeds and connection drops.
I don't think it's a problem with my carrier because I did a speedtest on the Galaxy and the speeds were great, however the speeds on the ipad when tethered to the Galaxy were very slow but on my wifi home connection everything works great and the speeds are much better on the iPad.
I was told in another forum that it might be a problem or incompatibility with the combination of the Galaxy with the iPad.
Would the iPad work better with a portable hotspot device such as webbing spot or connect one for example (These are available in my country)?
I would like to know what you think, if I could get significantly better speeds with the portable hotspot than what I get with the Galaxy.

I say it's that phone...I made the grave mistake of getting rid of my iPhone 4 for the galaxy and realized its junk....went back to iPhone 4S....but anyways it's a compatibility issue

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That has not been my experience. I am using my GS3 with my Ipad 4 to write this comment. Speed is at 4G lte networks normal results and works great with FoxFi. Only difference could be that I am using the paid version of FoxFi.

OP
Splashy

Splashy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gali-nir.com
Thanks for the comments.
I tried another cellular provider that's considered to have faster cellular internet and now the speeds are even slower, probably bad reception in my area, so I'm going back to my previous cellular provider.
As for the compatibility issue with the iPad 4 and the Galaxy S3, I'm getting different responses from different people.
Some people are also having similar problems with other Android devices tethering to an iPad.
However, I don't think it's in my best interest to spend money on a cellular capable iPad when I don't use the GPS or buy an iPhone 5 because it's very expensive and I'm happy with my Galaxy S3.
The question is, if it is indeed a compatibility issue, would I be better off with a portable hotspot device? People on other forums seem to think it won't make a difference but I still wonder.
Thank you for your help.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've got the Galaxy Note II (which is essentially a larger S3) and an iPad 1. The phone is new and I've never tried tethering so your post made me curious as to how my Samsung and Apple products would work together. I used the ookla speed test app to determine the speeds (see link below). Our network is 4G (No LTE yet :( )

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/speedtest.net-mobile-speed/id300704847?mt=8

My phone alone gave me a 5.99 Megabits per second download speed using the Android version of the app. The iPad tethered to the Samsung via WiFi produced a 6.75 Megabits per second. It was little faster.. No doubt there was some sort of network or server congestion that lowered the first test. I suppose a series of tests averaged over several days would probably produce more similar results..

This has me thinking now... I originally got a WiFi+3G iPad because my phone back then had no ability to tether. If I use my Samsung Note I'll be able to get 4G speed on my 3G iPad. I might not have helped you, but I'm glad I read your post :)

c ellmate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For what's it worth just went to my s3 and set up my hotspot. Logged in with my iPad4 and vroooooom. No speed issues here with Verizon 4g.

evohicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I say it's that phone...I made the grave mistake of getting rid of my iPhone 4 for the galaxy and realized its junk....went back to iPhone 4S....but anyways it's a compatibility issue
Junk? Did you actually give it time as Android is a completely different setup to IOS?
I have used both Apple and Android and yes both have their advantages, but I would not describe either as 'junk', My Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is really nice, but not perfect, but I will say one thing, alot of Apple users use Android for a short time but don't explore the full functions and give up too soon. I must admit IOS is easier to use but Android is more customizable (if thats a word) and before you say it, yes the IOS can be jail broken but its a hack, just like rooting the Android, to me, hacking the thing just takes away the fun of learning the basics and for most of the time, voids the warranty.
So my advice to potential Android users, give it some time before you decide what to do, its not the same as IOS.
PS: Sorry for going off topic.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Splashy said:

Have you thought of the possibility that the WiFi hotspot on your phone may not be working properly? Have you tried connecting other devices to the hotspot, such as your laptop?

OP
Splashy

Splashy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gali-nir.com
My laptop gets 4Mbps and my iPad 4 gets 2Mbps tethered to the Galaxy.
Both get much faster speeds (16-20Mbps) from my home network.
Now it works better, even though it's only 2Mbps the speed is reasonable unlike it was before.
Maybe it was a temporary problem. Let's hope it continues to work well.

Mojosodope

iPF Noob
Reaction score
evohicks said:
Junk? Did you actually give it time as Android is a completely different setup to IOS?
I have used both Apple and Android and yes both have their advantages, but I would not describe either as 'junk', My Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is really nice, but not perfect, but I will say one thing, alot of Apple users use Android for a short time but don't explore the full functions and give up too soon. I must admit IOS is easier to use but Android is more customizable (if thats a word) and before you say it, yes the IOS can be jail broken but its a hack, just like rooting the Android, to me, hacking the thing just takes away the fun of learning the basics and for most of the time, voids the warranty.
So my advice to potential Android users, give it some time before you decide what to do, its not the same as IOS.
PS: Sorry for going off topic.

I gave it a full year...attempted to root it which was harder than anything I've done only to brick one device, GPS never worked and the company said it was ok, the updates especially never came to my phone when they were released and when they did come out 3 months after launch you actually had to sit at your computer with the phone and download the file to the computer first, then to the phone which took 45 min, it didn't allow me to put all my music on my phone, the SMS feature was awful, I can go on but I won't. So yes I gave it time. My dad has the note 2 and its an awesome phone. But the galaxy phones are awful

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

evohicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gave it a full year...attempted to root it which was harder than anything I've done only to brick one device, GPS never worked and the company said it was ok, the updates especially never came to my phone when they were released and when they did come out 3 months after launch you actually had to sit at your computer with the phone and download the file to the computer first, then to the phone which took 45 min, it didn't allow me to put all my music on my phone, the SMS feature was awful, I can go on but I won't. So yes I gave it time. My dad has the note 2 and its an awesome phone. But the galaxy phones are awful

Sent from my iPhone using iPF
Well it seems you had some fun trying to get around some problems and I can understand the frustration but not everyone has to go through this, I thought the S3 could update OTA from the phone?
I never even used the stock message app with my Galaxy S2 or the Note 2, I use Handcent SMS which is far better and covers everything I need in an SMS App. My GPS was/is fine and I used the Sat Nav alot, updates are usually carrier specific and to be honest it doesn't bother me if my update was later than another carrier (and it usually was because mine was sim free unbranded) as if there were any bugs then these would usually be ironed out before I got it. Yes the IOS is sent out the same time for all and I agree that the IOS platform is probably more stable than Android but still people slate it because they used IOS 1st and found Android more difficult to set up.
I sold my S2 and my Ipad2 to get my Note 2 and yes its a really good phone but its not a tablet and for this reason I just bought the ipad 4 to go with it lol, both these devices are great for what they are designed to do.

Most reactions

Latest posts