What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet speed on 3G and wifi slowed to a crawl

Caltrano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad Internet speed has slowed to rediculous slow levels - opening a google page can take minutes or time out. Utube etc is impossible. Occasionally the iPad is works for a few seconds then reverts back to impossible slow operation.

What has gone wrong. I have totally restored, twice and tried flicking between 3G and wifi. All my other devices are fine.

Any thoughts?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the same problem and suspect that this is just standard for iOS 5.1. I also have an iPad 3 and running them side by side shows an impressive difference.

I think it is the "ratchet" effect: newer hardware entails a new os which is simply too much for the older hardware.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 1 is fine on 5.1, have you closed all the apps , cleaned safari cache , how much storage space is left , etc

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Funny. I have done all those things, including a complete reset---but molasses is fast by comparison. I will continue to experiment, though.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Download and install Speed Test from the AppStore. This will test your bandwidth capacity. If you have a good rating, even of you have issues loading any web pages, then you have a DNS issue. Otherwise, it can be something else and will require more investigation.

Whenever loading a web page is slow, check your dns settings (on wifi of course). You can manually enter those from Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) instead of relying on your ISP.

As for 3G being slow, again, it all depends if your get a good bandwidth speed or not before going any further. If you have the same result as mentioned previously, you may have to contact your provider as I don't know if DNS can be manually entered on a 3G connection....

OP
C

Caltrano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried emptying cookies history, turning off everything etc - still very slow will try speed test next.
My iPhone 3G is fine so I am not confident - I don't understand how it can be great since new and now awful.
Driving me made!!!
Thx for all comments

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Caltrano said:
Tried emptying cookies history, turning off everything etc - still very slow will try speed test next.
My iPhone 3G is fine so I am not confident - I don't understand how it can be great since new and now awful.
Driving me made!!!
Thx for all comments

I was referring to the 3G connection, not the iPhone 3G....

Is the issue only on your wifi network? If so, then the issue is mostly with your router than your iPad. Make sure to be the only connected device on it for a quick test and validate the connection. If all goes well, then you may have performances issues with your router. Some routers will have a hard time handling many devices/computers at the same time.

You can input the 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 DNS server addresses directly in your router as the default DNS to use instead of the one provided by your ISP. This as solve speed issues on mine...

Good luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts