What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skype for iPad Out Now!

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLOrf0tGMCc&feature=player_detailpage"]Skype for iPad - Video Chat Application - YouTube[/ame]​

Skype announced today via its blog the great news for iPad owners that the Skype for iPad app is finally here. It was actually released earlier this morning, but then pulled because Skype said it wasn't ready. But I'm pleased to say that it's now back up again in the App Store! The free to download app has been specially optimised for the iPad’s larger screen. If you’re someone who until now has been using the iPhone Skype app on your iPad, you’ll notice the difference in layout and graphics quality as soon as you start the app, as clearly it’s much better suited to the iPad. In particular, the Contacts page has been spruced up, with your contacts’ photos now displayed as large avatar photos on a grid, making them very easy to find in an instant. Your recent Skype conversations and history are also now much easier to find via one touch, and SMS text messages can be sent simply by opening a contact and choosing the SEND SMS option or accessing the dial pad and typing the number and then your message.

As you’d expect, many of the new iPad app’s features are specifically for iPad 2 and its two cameras. For starters, the app brings you two-way video calling, enabling you to connect with over 170 million Skype users worldwide whether they be on Android, Mac, Windows, HDTV and much more. You can even now send instant messages during your video chat, and if you choose to switch to the rear camera, you can show the person that you’re chatting to your surroundings.

Seems like a great update, particularly with all those new features for iPad 2 owners, I wonder if people will prefer using this to FaceTime on their iPad 2?

Click here to download the free app: Skype for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: Skype - The Big Blog - Skype Now Optimized for your iPad

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
During installation I got a message something like ... This version of Skype doesn't run on a modified iOS... I OK'd the message and it seemed to complete installation OK. I've done a Skype test call and it worked OK. haven't tried a video Skype yet cos none of my contacts are online.

PS i'm on a jailbroken iPad 2.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jenningsville said:
During installation I got a message something like ... This version of Skype doesn't run on a modified iOS... I OK'd the message and it seemed to complete installation OK. I've done a Skype test call and it worked OK. haven't tried a video Skype yet cos none of my contacts are online.

PS i'm on a jailbroken iPad 2.

Me tooo!

But I will prefer skype cuz mom doesn't have an apple to communicate with me on!!!

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Agent1191

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is a video contact to test video. After you add it to your contact list, check right under the name to make sure it is not in use when you want to try it

bill-on-skype-video-echo

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Says it doesn't work on a modified iOS, but it does!

roberthorg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a video contact to test video. After you add it to your contact list, check right under the name to make sure it is not in use when you want to try it

bill-on-skype-video-echo

Agent1191

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is the contact name. Just type it in the new contact search box as if you were trying to find someone

Most reactions

Latest posts