What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siri Shortcut Help

hcour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to create my first shortcut. I would like to create a shortcut called "Meditate" so when I say that shortcut name Siri waits 20 mins, then plays a sound to signify the 20 mins is up. Experimenting with it, I put in the action "Wait" and set it for 10 seconds, then the action "Play Sound" repeated three times. When I run the shortcut in the Shortcut app it plays fine but from the home screen when I tell Siri "Meditate" she says "one moment" then "still on it" then after 10 seconds and the sounds play and the shortcut is done she says "that's done". How do I stop her from talking and just run the shortcut?

At the top of this shortcut in "Edit" there is an action box I did not put there, which I assume is part of the problem? It reads like this:

Receive No Input from Nowhere
If there's no input:
Continue

Thanks for any help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a Siri setting, not a Shortcuts setting.

In Settings > Siri & Search >Siri Response, try changing to Prefer Silent Response.

You know, you could just say "Hey Siri, set a timer for 20 minutes". You can even change the sound it uses in the Clock/Timer app. You either have to tap the iPad or tell Siri to stop to make it quite.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A quick test show this works to keep Siri from responding when setting a timer, but does not stop responses when using the shortcut you described.

OP
H

hcour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't want to have Siri just set a timer because sometimes I'm "in the zone" and will continue with my meditation well beyond that 20 mins and having to say "Siri, stop" interrupts my focus.

Thanks for the response.

OP
H

hcour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got it. I wrote it like this, seems to be working:

Play Sound
Dismiss Siri and Continue
Wait 10 seconds
Play Sound
Play Sound
Play Sound

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I've got something that seems to work.

First, get rid of the the input block. To do this go into Details in the sidebar and turn off all the switches.

Now, start your shortcut with the action Dismiss Siri and Continue. the other two actions should now work fine. A popup showing shortcut progress will appear, but Siri won't say anything. I did not test this with longer than 10 seconds of Wait.

3B012594-FCB5-4D76-BBC8-C7A91BCF65FC.jpeg

OP
H

hcour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gak! I spoke too soon. Apparently the Wait function doesn't continue to run when the ipad is asleep. (Unless there's something I'm doing wrong, which is certainly possible.)

Anyhoo, I found a simple solution. I have an app called MultiTimer. One of the timers is a simple Countdown timer. It also works with Siri Shortcuts - you assign the Shortcut and then say the name you've given the timer. It does continue to run when the ipad is asleep and works fine.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I hadn't considered that.

If your new solution turns out to be less than satisfactory, I did a quick search in the App Store and meditation timers seem to be common; many free.

Most reactions

Latest posts