What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sim tray stuck

Nzipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a second hand iPad 2. It's the 3G version, however the sim tray is well stuck in the iPad, the guy I bought it off said that there is a sim card jammed in it which is stopping the tray releasing. Is there a way to get this out? I read somewhere about drilling a small hole in the tray but couldn't find any more details about this. Is removing the screen an option? Or is this a job for the apple guys?

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Removing the screen is definitely not an option - it's glued onto the body by a thermo-setting adhesive. Drilling a hole is not a good idea either, there are sensitive electronic components right up to the edge of the case and you'd be very lucky not to damage or destroy those. I think a visit to the Apple Store is going to be the only solution.

Tim

OP
N

Nzipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

I just went in earlier and was told that apple won't even try and fix it even at my expense, they usually only replace iPads if there is something wrong under the warranty. Looks like it will only be good for wifi use.

Cheers

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't give up so easily!! OK - does the existing SIM card in the iPad work? In other words, does the iPad display a 'No SIM' message in the menu on the Home page or are you seeing signal bars there? If the SIM card is working, then you could, I guess, just sign up for service with the provider whose SIM card is already there.

I'm guessing you're using the SIM card ejection tool to try to release the SIM tray?

Tim

OP
N

Nzipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

The sim is not working, I suspect that it's a sim that has tried to be cut down and is not the right size. From looking at google it seems this can be why the sim card tray gets jammed. And to top things off they have tried to force the tray out by jamming something in the side, its a real mess. I have tried to release the tray with a paper clip to no avail.

Cheers

OP
N

Nzipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mmm...

Thanks for that link Tim. Do you know of anyone that has successfully taken the screen off an iPad 2 and put it all back together? I'm pretty desperate to get the tray out even though I was aware of this when I bought it, I think it could turn into a bargain if I can get it out.

Cheers

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What usually happens with these 'SIM tray stuck cases' is that the SIM has not been cut quite small enough and, as you attempt to retract the SIM tray, it catches on the iPad case because it 'rides up' high on the tray.

One solution I've heard of, though never tried myself, is to get a *very* thin strip of metal that can be inserted between the top of the SIM tray and the case so that, when the SIM tray is retracted, it holds the SIM down in the tray so that it clears the edge of the iPad case.

This strip of metal has to be very very thin indeed and the favourite material has been the corner of the cutting edge of an old fashioned razor blade - i.e. the blade is 'inserted' at the corner (it's too wide to be fully inserted edge on) just enough to hold down the SIM as you try to withdraw the tray.

It might be worth a try and a bit of 'jiggling'.

I don't really think removing the screen is a serious option - I sent you the iFixit link more as a note of warning than of encouragement!!

Have patience and don't resort to brute force - it's one of those problems that will be solved by brain power not muscle power.

Let us know how you get on. I'll keep thinking about it too.....

Tim

OP
N

Nzipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

I really appreciate the info you have given me. With regards to the thin metal strip, would this be the side closest to the screen or the back that one might insert the strip? i might see if I can google some pictures of the tray to see the best angle to approach it.

Thanks again.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

I really appreciate the info you have given me. With regards to the thin metal strip, would this be the side closest to the screen or the back that one might insert the strip? i might see if I can google some pictures of the tray to see the best angle to approach it.

Thanks again.

It's the side closest to the screen. In some of the other iFixit teardowns of iPads there are some pictures. Also, look in the User Manual for a picture of how the SIM card fits into the tray.

Tim

OP
N

Nzipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has a picture of the underside of the iPad 2 sim tray, I see lots of the top side on google.

Thanks

OP
N

Nzipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, sorry for all the questions, but does anyone have a picture looking into the iPad 2 sim card slot with the tray removed?

Thanks

Umagrama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got it out!

Hey guys,

I had the same problem and got it to out with patience and effort. I'll definetly never use a cut out chip again.

This how i managed to open the tray: i cut out a long and thin piece of a beer can with scisors and used a hammer to straighten it and make it even thinner. I had about 1mm opening to stick this "tool" in there and wiggled it, played with it until it was released. There wasnt much into it. It took many pieces of aluminum before it was released.

You got watch out the aluminum because it will break and you dont want it to break in there. So if you use this method, make sure you make new pieces of aluminum before you bend it so much that it will beeak in there.

Another concern is the aluminum dust that this can create in the sim slot. I am not sure if it will cause a harm to the ipad but hey, this is what i came up with and wouldn't know what else to do.

Hope this helps anyone out there...

Good luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts