What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I swap my Ipad for another tablet?

jegues

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am having some frustrating issues with my new ipad mini.

My main goal is to use my ipad mini for university. The two main uses of my ipad would be viewing pdfs, and browsing the net for course related material, and checking course websites.

I have ~150 pdf files I wish to load onto my ipad, and really do not want to deal with the hassle of using itunes. Since there is no usb port on the ipad, I cannot simply transfer my files via flash drive, and must upload them on dropbox and frustratingly save them one by one in order to gain any access to them, independent of dropbox.

Is there some sort of filesystem app I can install on the ipad so I don't want to deal without having a filesystem? Would I be better off selling my ipad and purchasing a nexus 7?

Thank you for the information!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The PDF Expert app is a pretty good PDF viewing and annotating app. It can sync with folders in DropBox, saving you from the file by file transfers. Most of the better PDF apps have either DropBox support or wi-fi transferring options (if you have a computer on the same network).

GoodReader is another option and has more file management tools, but I prefer the annotation tools in PDF Expert.

iAnnotate is very popular with other college students on the forum. I'm not sure what file transfer methods it uses, but I'm sure there's more than one that does not need iTunes.

Good luck.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To my knowledge your only options are-
-iTunes
-import via email
-Dropbox (or equivalent)

I second PDF expert, it's fantastic.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
-iTunes
-import via email
-Dropbox (or equivalent)

Both PDF Expert and GoodReader have a wi-fi connection mode. You activate it on the iPad, then enter the supplied URL/IP address on the computer (on the same wi-fi network), either in a web browser, or better yet as a mounted drive.

Once done you can use the site or normal file manager on the computer to transfer files.

GoodReader also has a companion computer app named GoodReaderUSB. This lets you transfer files at cabled USB speeds without using iTunes.

Last edited:

runrgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropbox and photon fixed most of my school related issues..also I use pages :)

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You could consider getting an app to transfer files on your wifi network. Try spending little money as possible when looking for a solution.
Unless of course you're itching to pull out the credit dispenser.

Last edited:

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Husq250 said:
-iTunes
-import via email
-Dropbox (or equivalent)

Yep, if you want to avoid iTunes email the to yourself then open each one up in iBooks.

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jegues said:
Hello all,

My main goal is to use my ipad mini for university. The two main uses of my ipad would be viewing pdfs, and browsing the net for course related material, and checking course websites.

I have ~150 pdf files I wish to load onto my ipad, and really do not want to deal with the hassle of using itunes. Since there is no usb port on the ipad, I cannot simply transfer my files via flash drive, and must upload them on dropbox and frustratingly save them one by one in order to gain any access to them, independent of dropbox.

Is there some sort of filesystem app I can install on the ipad so I don't want to deal without having a filesystem? Would I be better off selling my ipad and purchasing a nexus 7?

Ok so download this browser *Download HD Lite* It will let you download stuff.Just to google in that browser the name of the pdf and free download.You can then download.Download iBooks.And there you can see a option Open with select iBooks.There is no need of buying other tablet I say.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jegues said:
Hello all,

I'm using mine for college also, and PDFs are my best friends right now. I use an app called "Documents" by Olive Toast, it's a simple design, it can access Dropbox, box, sky drive and google drive files directly from it. It has the options to create folders and move stuff around. It also has the SSH feature so you can upload the files from any computer browser. Actually many of the pdf viewer apps contain this feature. The only thing tho is this app is really only for PDF viewing. If you want to highlight and write on the documents themselves, you may need to find another app. Others say goodreader is a good option for this.

Most reactions

Latest posts