What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setup Airport Extreme

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I tried to download Apple's Airport Utility to set up my new Airport Extreme and discovered I can't because I don't have at least iOS 6 on my iPad (nor, I am afraid do I have 6 or later on my phone). Is there any other way to set up my Airport Extreme (like using my Windows 7 computer or laptop, or Linux), and is there a utility out there that will work on my iOS devices?

Too sad that Apple won't allow me to install an older version that works with my iOS.

OP
zstairlessone

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks, what I found looking was there was no utility for windows, must have been outdated info. I didn't think about going to the source - shame on me for doubting Apple :(

As soon as I get home with my new Airport (probably mid week or so next week) I can set it up :) now I am another step closer to my own mini Apple Kingdom.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been developing mine. I have the AirPort Extreme and an Airport Express. I don't need the coverage of two routers but it's handy to be able to plug speakers into the Express. I also have Apple TV so I can extend the display of my rMBP. My iPhone 4 has now become an iPod with the addition of an iPhone 5s and I still have my original iPad 2.

No iMac yet since the Vista beast refuses to die.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just remembered a very useful app that was lost from my iPhone 4 when I butchered it.

Just downloaded it again.

Remote is available free from the App Store, and turns your iPhone into a remote control for iTunes. Sign in with your AppleID, making sure your iPhone is on the same network as your Mac/PC, and away you go. Your iTunes library is available right there on your iPhone screen.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just remembered a very useful app that was lost from my iPhone 4 when I butchered it.

Just downloaded it again.

Remote is available free from the App Store, and turns your iPhone into a remote control for iTunes. Sign in with your AppleID, making sure your iPhone is on the same network as your Mac/PC, and away you go. Your iTunes library is available right there on your iPhone screen.
Thanks, for the heads up, Kevin, I just downloaded it.

OP
zstairlessone

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, I know this is a little older but here is a mini update.

When I got my 5S I did install the Apple app for the Airport Extreme (AirPort Utility) and later found I can now install the older version onto both the iPad and iPhone 4S. Seems as soon as you purchase the newest version the older versions become available for older iOS devices. The same thing happened with Numbers and Pages which I was unable to purchase on my 4S or iPad (both running 5.1.1) but now happily have.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Update to this discussion. I now have a new Airport Extreme. The old one has been reconfigured to extend my network, as has the Airport Express. Having an Airport Express in the mix has the advantage of being able to run remote headphones or speakers, using the Remote app to control the music from iTunes.

The new (tower-style) Airport Extreme conforms to the latest IEEE 802.11ac network standard.

Most reactions

Latest posts