What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selling iPad, precautions?

LeoBloom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm meeting up with someone using craigslist. What sort of security can I put in if it's snatched out of my hands? Any tips?

Appreciate the help.

vaman49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's funny...I sold my iPad 1 to someone off Craigslist today and I was carrying. Never leave home without it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm meeting up with someone using craigslist. What sort of security can I put in if it's snatched out of my hands? Any tips?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Just curious 'why' you are selling your iPad - getting a new one, not satisfied, or other reason(s)?

First, just make sure that you get the information off the iPad that may be of use to your (e.g. photos, data, etc.).

Second, you can just 'reset all contents & settings' - information HERE - this should get your device to the same point of your purchase - hope this is what you want to do; if not, please post back to this thread - good luck!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've heard some pretty horrid stories about this, I hope you are meeting in a very public place just to be safe. You can put a pass code lock on it Settings - General - pass code lock. Once the money has changed hands and you are satisfied it's all there, don't forget to tell them the pass code though. Also be aware of others watching the transaction take place, be aware of this when you leave your meeting place. I assume you've erased all personal information off the iPad already. Have you upgraded to IOS5? If you have it would have included a feature, Find my IPad. Settings - ICloud - find my iPad Make sure it's turned on. If you haven't you can just download the app Find my IPhone. Have a good read of the app and what it can do for you and make sure it is enabled. Now that we've scared you half to death that's all I've got other than taking a friend with you. Good luck!!

OP
L

LeoBloom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Not satisfied with the iPad's capabilities. Let me give you my actual example. I have lecture slides for my classes and I take notes in the notes section of the powerpoint on my Windows computer. There are only two applications I've found on the iPad that have the capability to read the notes section from the official powerpoint app: those are keynote and docs2go. Docs2go also has the ability to sync my powerpoints to dropbox so that I can open the Ppt file on my home computer and instantly have the updated version available. Docs2Go unfortunately was slow as molasses when it came to scrolling slides (something like a 3 second wait, which gets tedious when your professor zips through "unimportant" slides). Keynote required you to press 3 different buttons everytime you want to edit the notes for a particular slide, and this is also very tedious. Plus, it didn't have built in dropbox syncing.

On my new Android tablet (hush now, no yelling ;)), I have found a program that shows me only the slides and the notes section, and it is easily accessible and editable. Plus I use a seperate application to two-way sync to my dropbox. This function is important because functionality is not tied to whatever one application can do, but you could have multiple apps working upon one file.

2. I'm looking more for security/tracking settings, perhaps like "Prey" or a password or both? Obviously, I would reset all these settings once I get the money, but just in case is there there some application that cannot be overridden?

Thanks!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Permit to carry. Works every time.
AA

vaman49 said:
That's funny...I sold my iPad 1 to someone off Craigslist today and I was carrying. Never leave home without it.

OMG. That's just so scary. Our gun laws here are so much tighter, but then maybe the only people with guns here are the police etc, gun club members and all the bad guys. What a world we live in!!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Same here. We are out in the sticks here. It's only in the cities where I would encounter this.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own a gun for home protection and target shooting, and can't imagine carrying it around every day or shooting someone over an iPad transaction. If I thought a situation was possibly that dicey, I'd avoid it altogether.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, agreed. It's just not worth your life. There are better ways of selling your iPad.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts