1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Screen Protector or Naked?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by Grooveguru, May 8, 2011.

1. Grooveguru

Grooveguru iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After a bad experience applying a Screen Protector I'm debating whether to leaving it bald? It lives in a neoprene pouch. What are you guys doing?
  2. Harters

Harters iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Mine is naked at the moment.

I have tried Bodyguardz, but found it very grabby and had the same with a freebie that came with one of my cases.

People say it's hard to scratch the screen, but I am a bit paranoid about, but also screen protectors help cut down on fingerprint marks.

Still not made up my mind yet........

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  3. Jim B

Jim B iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Iphone = protector, goes outside all the time, ipad2 i'm staying free of the protector. It's a risk but just try and keep it covered and don't lay it down without the cover over it.
  4. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    my iPad 1 lives in the apple neoprene case, have had it from new, no scratches or anything, the iPad 2 lives in a leather case, also bought from new, again, no scratches or anything other than the usual suspect.... greasy finger prints :)

neither have screen protectors, too much hassle putting them on and getting it perfect
  5. Good karma

Good karma iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0
    I have screen protection on my ipad, phone and touch, at the begening particularly 1st time i had bubbles issues but then i just learned to apply it without bubbles. From a safety pov i would not leave the screen naked, infact on my ipad the screen protector helps with the usage , as with the screen alone my fingers rubbed and dragged acrossed the screen

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2
  6. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0
    iPad has always been in apple cover from day one and no scratches so far so yes, naked is good. I'm always aware of it. I always close the cover and put it down somewhere safe, it's from living with cats and kids I'm afraid.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app
  7. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    good practice tbh, whenever I am done with mine, I close the cover
  8. Good karma

Good karma iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0
    Same here, i have had the cover from day one and alwqys close is when i dont use it

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2
  9. KJSmitty

KJSmitty iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    We have three iPads, three iTouch's and a single iPhone 4. All have screen protectors. Yes I had a few trial and error moments with the protectors but once you get it, it's quite easy. My daughter now has our older16gb iPad. It was my first iPad and it went about 10 days before I fully realized the need for protection.

Sure, if very careful and very lucky, maybe no scratches. I am anal as H and within the first two weeks I had two very fine scratches on the iPad. Must of picked up just the right dust particle under my finger etc yet that was all it took. I placed a relatively cheap protector on it a year ago and forgot about it. My 11yo daughter obviously doesn't worry about it and I clean it regularly for her and the screen protector hasn't even a scratch on it yet... :)

When I brought home the wife and I's new 32/3G's, I booted them up with the factory wrapper on then went straight to the protector instal.

I'll admit the screen protectors can be a pain and a possible expensive trial and error process. I just purchased the crystal clears at Office Dep for approx $15 and they're bubble free, dust free and scratch free.

JMHO folks.

Time to take "mom" out to dinner. :)

Cheers
  10. Gramps40

Gramps40 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a zagg hard cover and I love it. I also always close it when not in use. No marks I have have bad luck with the screen protectors so no use the had cover.
  11. Blueface

Blueface iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had my iPhone 4 for nearly a year with no screen protector.
    It lives in and out of my pocket with nothing but a bumper.
    Not a scratch anywhere.

Same goes for my iPad and now my iPad2.
    Not a scratch to date.
    Nothing beats going naked, the way it was designed to be used.
  12. Cynwit

Cynwit iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have protector on my IPhone which is fine however going bare on the IPad is the only way to go....fabulous!
  13. BuayaGuy

BuayaGuy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didn't buy a screen protector for possible scratches, because with most normal use,you aren't likely to get them.

I bought my Steinheil (SGP) Ultra Optics for the antiglare and to keep fingerprints away :)

Glare is the bane of most Apple products - I know more people seem to prefer glossy, but I wish they'd at least offer the option to pay $35-40 extra to get a matte iPad screen. I'd grab it in a second, and I'd be willing to bet a LOT of people would like that too.
  14. Preacher

Preacher iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been a fingerprint hater since my first iPhone, so all of my Apple toys have screen protectors on them.
  15. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    That's what matte screen filters are for, and they'd cost a lot less than $35-40.
  16. Liquid Arikardo

Liquid Arikardo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is an interesting thread as I've been wondering this myself.

With only having a wifi model of the iPad that will undoubtedly be speeding the majority of time at home I am yet to pick up a screen protector for it. My iPhone on the other hand gies everywhere with me and has always had a screen protector on it from day one. All the way back since the 3G.

With a decent case a screen protector may not be needed for the iPad but I'm still paranoid of scratches. I may have to bite the bullet and purchase a screen protector to go on my iPad even though it's always going to be in a case.

Decisions decisions...

Sent from my iPad using the iPF App!
  17. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    That's the same reason why people buy insurance: for the peace of mind.
  18. Blueface

Blueface iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Go Naked!!!:D
  19. Padeasel

Padeasel iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Go naked, and, can you keep a secret?

As long as you do not place an unprotected iPad screen face down on surfaces and you operate the iPad with a relatively clean finger or stylus for operation, the iPad screen will stay free of scratches.

If you use a screen cover to reduce the ugly smudges that are more apparent on a glary screen, than maybe it's the smudges that are the issue, not the glare.

Now here is a secret that I ask you not to share with anyone. I keep a small Costco lens cleaning cloth with my iPad wherever I happen to be. I use it often to wipe my iPad screens free of smudges. I have yet to see anything better. No liquid cleaner needed other than a drop of water for some occasional stubborn spots. Normally, these cloths are provided free when you purchase your glasses from Costco. If you happen into Costco, visit the eyeglass booth and request a cleaning cloth. If you are lucky, they will give you one. Remember! Don't tell anyone our secret.

I have both an iPad 1 and the iPad 2. I use my Bweasel stand and leave it attached to the iPad. The Bweasel will protect the iPad front and back surfaces if the iPad is placed face up or face down on a flat surface. I stow the iPad/Bweasel assembly in a soft sleeve only for travel/commuting and wrap the stylus in the Costco cloth and stow that in the sleeve as well. After a year, my original iPad 1 screen and back surface as well as all other surfaces look factory new. Because the Bweasel stand is adjustable over an infinite number of angles from nearly vertical to nearly horizontal it provides that fraction-of-a-degree adjustment that may be needed to reduce glare. And if you prefer to use a screen protector, the Bweasel will not harm it because it makes no contact with the front surface of the iPad.

A Bweasel for the iPad 2 has been designed and I have a prototype in hand. Thursday I will visit the manufacturer and place a production contract. I will announce the projected delivery date at that time and most likely, a Bweasel stand for the iPad 2 will start shipping in mid June. And yes, it is made in the USA.
  20. Blueface

Blueface iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use the cloth that came with my LCD TV to clean mine.
    It is a large enough cloth that allows me to clean it in one or two swipes.

I compared my naked screen to a friend's that had a screen protector and frankly, mine was more resilient to smudges than his. Seems with the screen protector he had, it left more evidence of use than mine did.
    So, if smudges is a concern, that may not be the best way to avoid them.

I don't mind protecting the back with a Zagg film as that is more likely to be damaged by placing it down often but I cannot be a fan of the screen as I think it truly diminishes the experience.

To me, it is sort of like buying an expensive leather sofa or a nice car with nice leather seats and then covering them with plactic to protect them. Sure you protect them but in the end, you are losing the experience as it was intended to be. Enjoy things as they were meant to be. Life is too short.

Just my two cents.